Diy Repurposed Denim Skirt

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Faye Fox, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is the basic layout for my wrap skirt. The back is identical to the front. I left the side seams as they were and will sew the back seams together. I will sew one of the front seams and just hem both sides of the other front seam so it will overlap about 3." I think I will cut the top straight across and make a 2" waistband that ties at one of the front seams. I will probably just hem the bottom about 1/2 inch up and let it fray and then trim the fray short for a nice fringe look.
    IMG_5718.JPG

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I started to get it all ready for sewing and then I changed my mind on the design, I think. I am now thinking something more like this design but maybe put the seams inside. I cut the original side jean seams off that I left in the original design. I decided with a wrap skirt there was no way they would stay at the sides and get the look I was after. I saved the heavy side seams to use as ties like this lady did.
    ed9f77b9ba606592bb48da7b49986691--wrap-skirts-repurposed.jpg

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I like the second one much better. You are right. No matter how it wraps it will still look good with this design.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Lt. Dan! What happened to your legs?

But yeah, looks great.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Best looking demin skirt I've seen yet.I don't like them and I knew a woman who wore them all the time,never saw a single one that flattered her.But this one may have ,not sure.I like frills and lace on ladies or classic suits and slacks.To each his or her own I guess.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I think my main use of this skirt will be for shop, garage, yard, and other jobs where wearing spandex leggings is comfortable and allows movement but coverage and protection is also an asset. Denim is great for shaking off sawdust and dirt.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I didn't think of that ,and I do have a pair of demin overalls I wore quite often when working here in spring ,fall and winter.Very handy to hold tools ,full of pockets.When we first moved here my donkey and dogs cats and I stayed in the woods clearing while hubby worked in city then joined us when he got home.
    Also like blue jeans of course.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I made the kids school backpacks out of old jeans. Cut off the legs to make straps, sewed the legs left shut. Zipper faced out. Button closure for top. The pockets could hold small things. Books and big stuff went into the butt. I think for a small time some company institutionalized the look.
    I love denim.

Faye Fox and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Demin is ok but not so much for ladies everyday apparel,imo.