Do We Have Any San Francisco 49er Fans On Board?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hah. I was a huge Raiders fan. It annoyed my "America's Team" husband. :evil:

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I disliked the Cowboys for the same reason I disliked The Grateful Dead: their fans.
    Sorry if I offend anyone, but you really need a different team to work for...and try classical music for a change. ;)

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The only NFL team I never could stand was the Steelers.

And speaking of the Cowboys, I did appreciate Jerry Jones telling his team to stand for the anthem or "you're fired." That took guts.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

I have a "thing" about the Cowboys because of the long-term (highly marketable) rivalry with the Redskins. Other than that, I'm trying to think of a team I have truly disliked and can't come up with any. What's your beef with the Steelers?

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Same as you re: Cowboys... their fans. And I can't believe I forgot that I also can't watch the Patriots. Ugh. Of course, I don't watch any of them anymore.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I saw that the term "America's Team was first offered to the Steelers and they rejected it with the response, "We're the Pittsburgh Steelers!" The Cowboys were then offered and they accepted. I have also heard the Cowboys called God's Team. They had to cut a hole in the roof so God could watch his team play. I wonder what God thinks about the games being on Sunday?

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I wonder what God thinks of us going to church the day after the Sabbath? ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Geno Smith spent 7 years as backup quarterback after crashing & burning as the starting quarterback for the Jets in 2015. This year he beat out Drew Lock during preseason for the starting spot with the Seahawks. When asked about spending a chunk of his career on the bench, he said “My tough times would be a dream to someone else.

Gotta love the perspective. I think most of these guys are grateful for where they are and what they've got, peer pressure notwithstanding.

Link (to a very brief story based on his Tweets.)

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wow! Brock Purdy made history again, even better than last Sunday. In today's game, the 49ers beat the Buccaneers by 35-7. In the quarterback game, rookie Brock Purdy beat Goat Tom Brady in a very convincing way. It was magic. Brock Purdy was even more sensational than last week. Purdy threw two touchdown passes and ran in for a third touchdown. He seems to have the X+. He has made history in his first two games. It is impossible to know how far this Alice-in-Wonderland quarterback can go. But it sure looks like "Mr Irrelevant" is becoming "Mr Very Special". Everybody is raving about him!

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I only saw small bits of it, but it looks like the 49r defense did its job as well, with Brady throwing two interceptions and no TD passes. Garoppolo has lost his job apparently.

John Houlihan likes this.
  11. John Brunner

That game was only on my radar screen because you mentioned it, John, so I looked for it. But it did not air in my part of the country (at least over the free airwaves.)

John Houlihan and Don Alaska like this.
  12. John Houlihan

Registered

It was such a great game for the rookie quarterback! I hope Brock Purdy can continue to play without sustaining any serious injuries. He took some hard hits during the game. If he can avoid future career-ending injuries, I think he has the makings of a great QB.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. John Houlihan

Registered

There is something seriously wrong with the scouting methods used for the NFL draft. Tom Brady, choice 199, is great example of missing the GOAT. Now, Brock Purdy, choice 262 dead-last, is another glaring example of looking in the wrong place for greatness.

This reminds me of Billy Beane and the 2002 Oakland Athletics. Billy Beane used computer-generated analysis to create a winning baseball team. Using computer analysis was a new scouting approach at that time.

Now, we have a similar shortcoming in NFL football. Yes, now computers are used in scouting but they seem to be looking only at the physical attributes of players. They ignore the contents of the mind and heart, where the real champions are. Brock Purdy is the quintessential example of this oversight. It's possible he may be another Tom Brady. Sunday's blowout game could have been symbolic of Brady handing over the keys to Purdy. It's going to be very interesting to watch this young 22-year old QB going forward.

A final point. I wonder when scouting will wise up and start to use AI to smoke out the great QBs currently being overlooked.

14. John Houlihan

Registered

Wow! The 49ers won last night on the road by beating Seattle. Brock Purdy, the rookie quarterback, made football history for the third time in the past 11 days. I have been watching football all my life and have never seen any rookie like him. He has the X+. In this game, Purdy played with the pain of a rib injury. Nevertheless, he managed the pain and threw two touchdown passes, while completing 17 out of 26 with no interceptions. He is fun to watch because he can run, pass, and think out of the box. The 49ers are going to the playoffs. I wonder how much longer they can keep winning. Worth watching their games. They look like they are peaking at the right time.

15. John Houlihan

Registered

The Brock Purdy "Cinderella" story continued last Saturday when the 49ers beat the Washington Commanders. Purdy, the third-string quarterback, has helped the 49ers win their last four games. The young QB is playing like a 10-year veteran. Especially important, his football IQ is off the charts. He reads defenses beautifully, passes quite accurately, is great in and out of the pocket, etc. It is rumored that when Brock Purdy was born, the doctor said to his father, "Congratulations. It's a quarterback!".