Do Y'all Like Pot Pies?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I seldom eat lamb. I only have ewes and wethers.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Mary, how many kinds of animals do you have. I'd like to have a couple of large goats to help me clear some of these vines. They are expensive now though.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Registered

I am down to just sheep, chickens, rabbits and my barn cat, Bonneroo. (he came with that name 8 years ago) My daughter wanted goats but I don't need their acrobatics. Although my friend pointed out that they could pull a cart as in The Little Rascals episode and the movie Stardust.:rolleyes: I eventually will get another bottle calf but daughter does not like that as she would have to run the fence line if I do.
    Cows are pretty good escape artists. And My little bull, Brian, would come in with his horns festooned with hot wire and beg me to detangle all his parts.:cool:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do love them but cannot find a good brand anymore,all veggies not much protien.But Costco has one,Kirkland brand that is mostly protein.It's the time of year I like to have one or 2 on hand.Now to find someone with a Costco membership......:D

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Making your own is best, but- Marie Callender is the best we have found. Do not know if you can get there or not.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Cindi Marie Bauer

Cindi Marie Bauer Active Member
    Registered

This was the Easy Chicken Pot Pie I had made in the past. Sometimes my husband will purchase Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie(s), which he'll purchase them whenever we go to Sam's Club. They indeed are quite delicious!

Attached Files:

7. Cindi Marie Bauer

Registered

Krystal Shay, I like how your pie crusts look.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  8. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wish I could - at 39 gms sugar, same as a can of soft drink

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It has 39g of carbs, but the label says only 4g of sugar. I guess the rest is refined flour, huh? But the sugar is offset by the 25g of fat ;)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Cindi Marie Bauer

Registered

Marie Callender's Pot Pies are so delicious! The only time my husband buys them, is when we are at Sam's Club, plus after my husband "just prepares one", as we always share it, to watch our portion control.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I buy a large one and get 2 meals out of it. It's interesting to read the low opinions folks have of her other meals. I've not tried them, but her pot pie is my favorite.

Cindi Marie Bauer likes this.
  12. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The FDA (unfortunately) allows processed food companies to deceive consumers by permitting them to list the carbs & the sugar separately to make their product seem more healthy & boost sales. As you noted, the sugar on the label only refers to added sugar.
    The sugar is included in the carbohydrate because 100% of the carbs are converted to sugar (glucose) as soon as we eat it. Of course processed food companies would rather we not know that. We're designed that way because sugar (glucose) is our main energy source. In fact. it is the main energy source of every living thing on the planet - including carnivorous animals who don't eat carbs - lions, wolves, snakes, sharks, etc. Their systems are set up to convert a large part of their protein to glucose.
    A tsp. of sugar is 4 gms sugar or 4 gms carbs. Those little restaurant packets are 1 tsp. If you tear open 10 of those packets & pour out the sugar, that's how much sugar you're getting in a pot pie - or a can of soda - or 2 slices of bread - or 1 cup of pasta. (I've never seen anyone eat 1 cup of pasta or spaghetti. When I used to eat pasta, I never had 1 cup; more like 1 bowl. A big bowl.) :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  13. Mary Stetler

Registered

Great post! The FDA is a joke and in bed with big pharma. The food industry keeps changing the term high fructose corn syrup now that we are wiser.
    We are so addicted to sugar that we would rather eat the poison than stay healthy and the industry knows it. Seed and vegetable oils that almost all great tasting fast food and store products contain are processed with chemicals we were never intended to ingest...

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't consider sugar to be "poison." Everything in moderation, and I'd take natural sugar over any of the artificial sweeteners any day. I have never understood why people who are not diabetic would even consider using a chemical concoction instead of the real thing.

@Tony Nathanson -- Some of the carbs in the pot pie come from the vegetables (peas, potatoes, carrots) as well as flour, etc. So not entirely "bad" carbs but certainly mostly.

15. John Brunner

Look at the Food Pyramid. We pay those bloated agencies to do research on a healthy diet, and when it's published the dairy & meat lobbyists get in the faces of politicians (because they were on the bottom), and suddenly the healthy pyramid that WE PAID TO HAVE RESEARCHED gets turned into a graphic of Who's The Biggest Lobbyist?

Regarding pot pies: Selling a pot pie that lacks a bottom crust should be a prosecutable offense. It ain't a cobbler.