Do You Ever Dream You Are Back At Work?

Discussion in 'Dreams & Interpretations' started by Carol Knott, May 6, 2018.

1. Carol Knott

Carol Knott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yesterday morning, Hubs woke up and announced he was going to call his former company and ask for a paycheck because he had been working at a trade show all night. LOL! He was kidding of course, but it was clearly a dream he would rather not have. I have done the same. I find myself back in the classroom, in front of a strange bunch of kids, and I ask someone, "I'm here just to fill in, right?" And they tell me that this is my classroom for the whole year. I am in a panic. How can this be? I have no plans, no idea what grade it is, no nothing! When I wake up it usually takes a minute to come to my senses, but the relief when I realize it's a dream is palpable. We have been retired two years now, so I'm guessing these dreams will become less common. but still, it's not cool. It's not that we hated our jobs, but we were both ready to retire.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Frequently. Although I was more recently a paramedic for twenty years, I had worked in a couple of paper bag manufacturing plants before that, and my dreams are more often in paper bag plants than on ambulances, although I have had those dreams as well.

3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

No, TG, I haven't and I do hope I never will. :D Fortunately, I very rarely dream anyway. Officially, I've been retired just for a month. So I hope I will not be haunted by something like you described. gg
    What does happen quite frequently, though, is that there are thoughts flashing through my mind while I'm doing other things like: "Look, you'd better get finished with that because you will soon have no time for that any more since the weekend or the holiday is over." And then I suddenly realise that I will have time to finish whatever I'm doing without being interrupted by the demands of the job. And then I'm soooo relieved. As you say, Carol, I was also more than ready to retire and I, for sure, don't want to get back to that phase of life. Retirement, at least its early stage, can be so nice if conditions are fine. I guess it'll take some time until I get fully used to this new stage.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I sometimes dream, but never/ever about my previous jobs. During all of my working years, I only had one job that I truly really liked what I did and my supervisor/director. He was highly educated and knowledgeable about the department and what we did. I learned a lot from him, and I knew quite a bit when I first started working for him. But, dreaming about that job..........nope.

Actually, I was truly glad that I retired, even it was only on SS (Early Retirement at 62). My working days were finally over, even though there are times that I can worker harder at home than I did on an actual job. I no longer had hear the BS from a supervisor, about calling in sick or taking a vacation or taking a PTO day for something special.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I had one dream about it about a year ago. I retired a little over 3 years ago. People I knew who had retired warned me that I would have those dreams, but so far only once.

6. Ken Anderson

I won't go into details because I have told the story of some of these dreams in another thread but usually, when I dream about work, I am confused, in the dream, either because I don't know what my job is supposed to be or because I am not really in a paper bag plant but in some other kind of manufacturing plant that isn't familiar to me, but everyone there seems to know who I am and are glad to have me. Meanwhile, I wander around trying to figure out where I am supposed to be and what I am supposed to be doing. There are times when I work what appears to be a regular shift at a paper bag plant, although there are usually other people mixed into it rather than those who I actually worked with. I woke up a few days ago feeling good because I had had a good shift at work, and I haven't worked in a paper bag plant since 1986.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I barely worked at a job, I don't have dreams about them...do have the school ones though.

Last night I had a dream about @Ken Anderson. No matter how hard I tried to remember the dream, I can't.

Do know that it wasn't a romantic dream but remember little else....something to do with the forum. :).......I think.

8. Ken Anderson

Terry Page, Bobby Cole and Babs Hunt like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha......me too!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes @Carol Knott , I dreamt only a couple of nights ago about work.

I took early retirement last summer at 62 ...and I miss going to work now, although not that particular job..but the other night was the first time I dreamt of it, it wasn't pleasant..

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

After I said I hadn't dreamt about work (0nce in over three years), last night I had a dream about work. Power of suggestion, I guess.

Holly Saunders and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Worked in the same trade all my life never dreamed about it once.

My dreams are normal about not getting sex.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I never dream about work.
    Won't do any good, I'd just wake up and GO to work.:eek:

I've learned a lot going back full-time.
    Learned I don't enjoy it as much as I thought.

We'll see what November brings my way, after our trip to see Mickey and Minnie...:rolleyes:

14. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

A little update. Although I said I'd be dreaming very rarely, yesterday must have been one of those exceptions. To my surprise, I did dream that I was back at work again and, like Holly's, the dream wasn't very pleasant either. Why is it that at least my dreams are seldom about positive things? Seems like it takes some time to really come to terms with those negative ones. TG, it was only a dream... I'm back to more refreshing things now. :)

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I never dreamt about work, I guess being self employed all my life in various trades, work has never featured highly in my life, I just did what I enjoyed and then pursued other interests. My dreams these days are a bit like a trashy novel, not worth going into :rolleyes:

Don Alaska likes this.