Do You Fear Religious Conflict In The United States?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The sad thing is that you don't even see how contradictory this is, and wrong. No matter. I don't care what you believe, but you do need to learn to have a civil conversation.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with these nations not wanting to change their nations into a cultural hellhole,like ours is now with everyone hating on others.Which isn't helping any of our religions.

3. Joyce Senior

Joyce Senior Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not into the things you mentioned in your last sentence although I know what Univision is; so, I can't comment on them.

As I see it, each side is under threat and each side is being ignored on some issues. I find my rights are being taken away wholesale while I'm sure you feel the same. Right now schools aren't teaching much of anything of what's going on today I'm afraid. Very sad.

4. Joyce Senior

Registered

Can you explain to me what you mean by "contradictory," please, Ken? You're right; I don't see it. But I'd like to know what you see.

5. Ken Anderson

First, you say that it is impossible to find sources for any of this stuff (which suggests that either you don't know how to use a search engine and never watch anything other than CNN and MSNBC), and then you claim to want to know the answers. If you wanted to know the answers, you would have looked for them, and if you looked for them, you would have found them. Among the list of citations that you demand in one post is the source for the claim that math is considered to be racist. Yet, when I search on "Is math racist?", I find citations for that from Clarion News, the Chicago Tribune, The Atlantic, CNN, the National Review, the Washington Examiner, and Mind Matter News, and that's just the first page of results. So, even if you are among those who confine their information sources to CNN, you should have heard of that one.

You don't have to believe what others are saying but please don't pretend that anyone who disagrees with you is so far off that no one could possible find a source for it.

As I have said earlier, I have found that people who demand citations will never accept the validity of whatever citation they are given, so I don't usually bother even responding to such requests, particularly when the sources are readily available for anyone who is truly interested.

This is a discussion forum. We post comments, ideas, opinions, news, and whatever we want to post here. Our posts are not dissertations in need of citations.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Itry to avoid these debates Jotce but seems nobody likes any other subjects I put up so it fills my lonely isolated days. I miss having people around and going to crowed places.Did you check out my Amazing Kids thread in the Pictures and Videos forum? Ot the videos of the couple I;ve been watching for about 8 years? They travel all over the world on their boat and meet very nice people of all races and cultures.But they do not go there to change anything about the people or place.
    I always liked history but I probably forgot more hisstory than most people ever knew.But that is because I enjoyed it so much learning about people.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  7. Joyce Senior

Registered

I checked the sources, Ken, not just the headlines. None says that math, itself, is racist. What's said is that the examples used to teach it may be. There's quite a difference. As I said, it's impossible to find sources for the idea that 1+1=2 is racist.

8. Joyce Senior

Registered

I'm sorry your days are so lonely and isolated. Is this a normal state or are you in lockdown? I'm alone, too. That's why I'm on three of these sites as I don't use social media like Facebook; I'm interested in discussions, not postings of a few words or pictures. I also take a lot of courses. A huge number of the institutions around the world put their courses online for free and I take them in many disciplines. It keeps my mind active. I especially like the ones which are on platforms that are set up in such a way that there's a good deal of discussion. :) You might be interested in history ones. You can find them all listed at MOOC-list.com.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Its ok Joyce I just get so bored and was use to people before this Covid crap happend.We would go to a ;pcal community senior place ,play games,exercise and just talk .Covid closes it down plus we are self isolated so no visits from family.
    Sometimes hubby and I play a game like Sqabble or cards.
    I watch short films about animals and kids and a few movies on YT.I'm consevative as you've probably figured out by now and don't like most of todays movies. Do find a good movie now and then.
    Clean and cook too. Thanks for concern.

10. Joyce Senior

Registered

You can come clean and cook for me, Marie! LOL I have a hard time finding movies on Amazon Prime for exactly the same reason -- at least I'm guessing it's the same reason. They don't list them by ratings and so it's necessary to go through a whole list and to find ones that I want to chance bothering with. :(

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

One way to see how the movie is going to be is read the comments on the movie. I've yet to see someone give way the plot or too much info but some will say things' this is one violent or vulgar movie so then I know I don't want to watch it.
    Also we like to watch old movies and classics at times on YT. We don't mind seeing it twice of its been awhile we probably forgot most of it anyway.:D

12. Joyce Senior

Registered

Thanks for the suggestion, Marie. It's actually quicker to go through the list of movies, looking at the ratings for each than to open it up and scroll down to the comments and see if anyone's mentioned that sort of thing. I actually tried it several times and only one of them said anything; that was before I realized it was an exercise in futility for most of them. I don't know the names of movies and so would probably have a problem with Youtube. I also need good closed captioning if I want to enjoy something; Youtube's is automatic and not good.

13. Joyce Senior

Registered

I meant to comment on the above, Ken. For the record, I once watched MSNBC for about three minutes. As soon as I realized that Al Sharpton had a regular show, I decided their commentators are as biased as is Fox News's. I also don't watch CNN; the last time I did that was for the 2018 election coverage. I move around for that coverage.

14. Ken Anderson

Oh, I watch them. I just don't rely on them for true information. Like any blog that I might come across on the Internet, I have to double-check what CNN and Fox are saying. CNN is wholly focused on furthering the progressive agenda, while Fox News is biased in favor of the neoconservatives.

15. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Joyce, returning after a week and missing the last 3 pages of digressive arguments, I'll address your question now about Christian persecution numbers.

I see the Pew survey references too, but can't quickly find any numbers breakdown that would be interesting to see. Here's what I have observed over the past couple of years though - almost daily headlines on the 3 main Christian news websites of Christians being attacked in one form or another. Some are civilized, like Franklin Graham or other faith leaders specifically being denied permits to hold Christian rallies or speak at universities. Others are more personal, like cake makers or photographers being sued by the gay rights activists. The largest numbers and worse cases though come from Atheistic countries like Russia, China, and North Kora, and African Muslim countries, that are literally imprisoning, torturing, and killing Christians routinely who are caught with Bibles, attending worship services, or otherwise making known their Christian faith publicly. I actually started keeping a library of the articles documenting this persecution, but the daily occurrences were too numerous and distressing for me to keep up with it.

With several Atheist and Muslim countries hating and persecuting Christians, including entire regions of them in Africa, I can only guess that it affects millions each year. Other ethnic groups no doubt get their share of persecution too I expect, but not so much for their religious beliefs. Much of the world hates Christians, and this is just what Jesus said would be the case.

Finally, I'd like to politely counter the statement you said about fearing the fall of our wall between religion and government. Actually, the opposite is the case if you're referring to America. Let me briefly explain since most people are sadly misguided on this point.

For 300 years America's government, educational system, and public arenas were intimately innertwined with the Christian religion - specifically acknowledging and supporting Christian beliefs and values with Congressional proclamations, public speeches, and government funding and projects. Jefferson's phrase of a wall separating the church and state was not popularized until FDR liberal Justice Hugo Black added it into the landmark 1947 Supreme Court ruling of Everson vs. Board of Education. Since then, the misinterpreted phrase has been used to secularize America via 15 Supreme Court rulings and thousands of lower court cases and settled lawsuits. Today, the vast majority of Americans believe that a wall, or separation of church and state, relects the Constitution and Founding Fathers' intent. This is patently false, and I have documents and videos to prove it for anyone interested in the subject.

You needn't worry about Christains gaining too much support from the government. We've already lost that battle in the courts over the past 70 years. As a result, America is becoming more secular with each generation. Atheists and Liberals like that, and Christians have allowed it to happen, but I personally believe that it's the cause of America's cultural decline and will ultimately result in God's wrath upon the nation. Christianity is what made America great; we'll pay high price for rejecting that heritage and God's providential blessings upon this country.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.