Do You Fear Religious Conflict In The United States?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole .. whatever you think .. stick me with a fork i am done :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I believe that everyone here is supportive of free speech, @Hedi Mitchell . However, this forum (like most forums) has rules against hate speech or personal attacks posted on the forum. Some forums even ban topics like politics and religion completely, but that does not mean that a person no longer has free speech, it just means that this is a rule on that particular forum.
    It is about the same thing as if we ask someone not to smoke cigarettes in our home. It is perfectly legal for a person to smoke cigarettes, but not acceptable to do in a private home when asked not to do so, and no one is losing their right to smoke by doing this. They just make a decision to either comply with the request, or do not come inside of the home.

Bobby Cole and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If medical idolatry can be classed as 'religion', then it has been in conflict for a century with truth seekers and truth tellers, and has been responsible for , as you put it "many deaths and much suffering in a number of countries". More people serve medical protocols , whether good or right or bad and wrong,
    than any religous group, and sometimes are more to be 'feared'/ ?or ignored? when possible/ than soldiers killing for religion or for politics . The enemy is within, not outside. The Bible says "blessed 'happy and content' are the peacemakers, and they shall see God" quote or paraphrase. They also first of all, and always , do no harm.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I once ran a forum where everything was permitted except for that which was illegal. In some ways, it was entertaining but, in the end, it was controlled by those who were the rudest, since other people were driven away, afraid to post for fear of being attacked. We had more active spectators than participants because people enjoyed watching a trainwreck even when they didn't want to be a passenger on the train.

It didn't take a lot of effort on my part to run that forum because, other than paying the hosting fees, there wasn't much that needed to be done. There was little or no moderating involved in it. But that wasn't the kind of forum where friendships were made; alliances, maybe.

On the other hand, I have seen and even temporarily participated in forums that were so heavily moderated that it was difficult to say anything of interest for fear of offending someone who mattered. Usually, such forums don't allow discussion of politics or religion, and, when you think of it, politics and religion play into a whole lot of what we think or say. So, while religion and politics were prohibited subjects, the tone of these forums is generally set by the religion and politics of the administrators, although they (truly) consider their religion and politics to be reasonable and objective.

I wanted to do something in between, allowing for the discussion of subjects that may be controversial but stopping short of personal attacks. Of course, it's an imperfect system because everyone has an individual level of tolerance and differing worldviews. There's no getting around the fact that someone is going to be offended from time to time. I try to consider whether a post was intended to be offensive or whether the offense was in the interpretation. Sometimes, that's clear, but not always, and I'm not perfect either.

I don't like banning anyone but sometimes I have to decide that someone is causing more upheaval than they are worth. When I say this, I don't mean, as they are worth as a person, but in their contributions to the forum. If someone is trying to make a point, even if it's one that upsets other forum members, I am more inclined to allow it than I would someone who is simply copying and pasting stuff that upsets other forum members.

This isn't the United Nations. It's just a place for people to talk about stuff and get to know one another.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

You make reference to natural cures being the way as opposed to medical help. I tend to agree. But what exactly are those cures? You don't offer them. or where members can go to find them. I have gone to non traditional healers, my chiro is great. But I have situations that cannot be helped. I use all sorts of supplements and books and offer knowlege on ocassion.

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered