Do You Have A Favorite Pet? This Was Mine

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Jake Smith, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think I remember merging a couple of favorite pet threads not so long ago.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Did the little chick make it to night time?

This probably explains the egg with the hole in the shell from my bluebird nest.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I could not find the hen last nite. I think I know where she will be tonite. I was worried she stayed outside because everyone was mean to her. She had been is seclusion for so long, I think they forgot who she was. Staying outside over nite makes her racoon bait. Although she is still in danger on the ground with the chicks.
    I'll let you know.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Registered

:(

OK, I just got home. If it wasn't worrisome tonite would have been funny. The sheep were up crying when I got to the barn. It is 4th of July and there are a lot of noisy fireworks going off around the farm. The run-in area is in front of two stalls. One is for sheep and one is kept closed.
    I opened the reserved stall and found that is where mama hen is. She is sitting on the other three chicks AND another clutch of eggs, not hers.:confused:
    Well the sheep were freaking out and trying to push in so I would save them from the noisy monsters. I am trying to keep it dark by only using a pen light. I tried to introduce my baby, inconspicuously:cool: The sheep break in, the hen spins around, all the babies are out from under hen and she starts attacking everybody.:eek: The only thing I could do to calm things down was to retreat, directing the sheep to leave. Not an easy feat in the dark.
    I closed up the barn and drove down the driveway but came back just to be sure I shut every thing up right in the maylay. No frantic peeps, no mama growling....a good sign. will have to go back early tomorrow to see if everyone lived.:oops: I had gotten the lost baby to eat, drink and poop before bringing her over. Should fit right in.o_O

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

What a night you all must have had. Everything happens at once, doesn't it? I sure hope the little chick, and all your other critters, are doing well in the morning, Mary.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

Rejoice with me!
    Everyone present and accounted for and upright! I actually prayed for my little baby, apologizing for not praying for the little humans first. Baby seemed so small and alone as I left and she could have died from being cold, or even a grumpy mother who did not recognize her own. But I guess when mom regathered the babies after they scattered, with sheep interference, she must have just scooped them all under her wings. Good thing chickens are not good with math.:rolleyes:
    God really is good!

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Congrats, Mary! You are a life saver. Does this new little chick have a name yet? ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

I was thinking Riley, after my interesting tenant. But I don't generally name my chickens unless I am moved.o_O

Hedi Mitchell and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

So it's a male? Can you tell already?

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

Riley is a hermaphrodite :rolleyes:
    I think the chick is a female. But it is hard to tell this early.

Nancy Hart likes this.