Do You Have A Fear You Got Over And If So How Did You Do It?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Babs Hunt, May 5, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I face me fears everyday...when i turn on the NEWS :D. I control this fear- by turning it off quickly:p

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is a good one, Gloria. I don't think the news scares me, per se, but it does make me angry and depressed sometimes. I, like Bobby, can think of nothing that I truly fear in the physical sense, but I don't like walking to the edge of tall platform or canyon. I fear being disabled and being a burden to people who care about me. I guess that is the biggest fear I have. Second might be a slow, agonizing death. I guess they are linked a bit.

Since I mentioned canyon fears, I read that the most common cause of death at the Grand Canyon is guys peeing over the edge and falling. Second is posing for that great photo....

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Darwin had a point, his theory of natural selection still hold true...lol

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Registered

@Bobby Cole , strangely enough , given my life long fear of heights, I have always wanted to sky dive...never have tho'.. . My daughter , on the other hand has several times, she's an adventurer, and will give any adrenalin filled activity go.. she's sky dived several times now and loved it...I have the pictures .. She's deep sea dived in the choral waters of Australia, South Africa and several Caribbean countries too, and I would love to try that one day. Oddly enough I forgot to mention that when I'm in Spain occasionally I go para sailing ...now I know that sounds like a contradiction in terms given my fear of heights, but I think because I have a life jacket on, and I'm attached to the towing boat with ropes, I don't feel afraid at all..

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It sounds like you are allowing your daughter to get way ahead of you so it's time for you to step up the pace and catch up! We really can't have our offspring believing that they have a leg up on us, now can we??

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

LOL...too late, she's an amazing woman, at this age and with health issues I could never achieve half what she has !!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

You know I feel so much peace now that I have faced the reality that it is not so much the fear of driving somewhere that scares me as much as it is I just don't really have the desire to be in those other places as much as I used to. And although I love my siblings very much and do enjoy the times we do get together...I don't really feel the need to get in the car and travel to go spend time with them anymore either. I'm pretty much content knowing I'm home among my children and grandchildren and can see them whenever I feel the need to do so.

I know my siblings understand this as they too have their own children and grandkids which are priorities in their live too. Most of my siblings still come to the City I live in so I do see them at least a few times a year and we enjoy our time with each other during those visits. I can remember when my Mom told us she would not be making any more trips away from home...even though it was always someone else who drove her to see my siblings in other states....there just came a time when she did not want or feel the need to go anymore. I think I am getting that way too. And I think the only thing that would change that for me would be if my children moved out of this City with my grandkids. But if that happens....we are moving too. :)

It's funny how what's important to us changes over time. I used to think when we retired I would have liked to buy an RV and travel all over....but even if my husband could still drive that would honestly be the last thing I want to do at this time in my life. I'm happy where I am in life right now....that might change one day but for now I am just going to enjoy this season in my life.

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Like I have said before I am a NLP master practitioner. NLP has techniques for dealing with fears and phobias they normally handled in 20 minuets. I have done demonstrations of curing a fear and I did not even have to know the fear. Find a NLP'er and they will fix your problem very fast. I have helped hundreds of people get over fears and phobias.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I still have a fear of airplanes...and since I don't see a need for them....I don't really care if I get over that fear or not.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't fear the flying part but I'm getting very weary of the hassle of flying...stresses me out...maybe thats why Ive been avoiding some trips lately.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am not claustrophobic to the extent that some people are, but I don't like closed spaces. I can't even watch movies where people are trapped in narrow caves or in a box underground. Even when they're not trapped, it's hard to watch someone crawling through a tight space underground.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have those feelings when I watch a movie where people are trapped underwater for some reason and oxygen is running out.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh yeah, those underwater caves are unreal. It's hard to imagine someone doing that.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

When my oldest daughter was about 7 years old I took her on vacation and one of the places we went to was Ruby Falls which has underground caverns with stalagmites, etc. We had to ride an elevator deep down into the ground and then the Guide took us all through the caverns which were beautiful but I have to admit it was kind of scary knowing how far underground we were. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018