Do You Have A Go To Place When Temperatures Get To 95+?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Lon Tanner, May 7, 2021.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

It has been over 100F in the High Desert for over a week. Last week's high was 114.

Thankfully, our home was built with 2X6 framing studs instead of the usual 2x4's. This allows insulation bats which are 50% thicker than used in normal home construction.

Our attic is protected by a concrete tile roof, completing the insulation package!

When its over 100 outside, we set our thermostat to the high 70's and feel comfortable all day.

Hal

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's the thing about desert heat. Our a/c units run steadily here in Virginia to get rid of the humidity. I think about the colonists and the Native Americans who weathered this stuff. It's insane.

3. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

the refrigerator

4. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Don't think it got into the 90s here for the last few years, but it's forecast to be that hot here and more this weekend. I just have two little fans, and if I start them early enough in the morning and keep all curtains and blinds closed, it stay tolerable even when that hot. But I also have a water fan -- like a water bottle but with a battery driven fan on it -- and a personal fan thing that hangs around my neck. I hope those of you who have hotter and longer summer seasons and especially those with awful humidity have good air conditioning.

Sunny Bonet and Joe Smith like this.
  5. Sunny Bonet

Sunny Bonet Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well I like it hot, so 95 is nothing to me. I'm finding as I get older that I don't take the heat above 115 as well as I used to, but still better then the cold, icy, snow below zero weather in Colorado! And yep, IF it gets too hot there's always the AC.:) However many people here, during June, July and August, do head for the mountains of AZ or elsewhere.

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We don't wait for 95 degrees before the air goes on here in southern Ma8ne

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember hubby trying to talk me into getting a window air conditioner and I said 'Why? It only gets hot about 10 days of the year!" Now we have central air which is kind of pricey to run but humidity is high. So we open all the windows at nite, face a fan out an upper window, and then close everything up before 9am. I also finish off the basement of houses we've lived in. Hubby won't go down there because it is 'too cold'.
    Working outside we get drenched in sweat and I laugh at people who run to get in out of the rain. What's the point?

Sunny Bonet likes this.