Do You Have A Grabber For Picking Up Things Instead Of Bending Over?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I just ordered one from Amazon despite having long arms for reaching things and the Grabber will save my back and keep me from falling.

2. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good move, grabbed one quick about 20yrs. ago when I visited my Dad's nursing home and saw what an advantage he had with it!

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I don't.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, have two of them. Got each when I had each rotator cuff surgery. They really helped after the surgery and still do. Wife or I can't reach something, get one of the grabbers and we get what we can't reach.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I thought about it then I had to remind myself about the benefits of bending over and bending my knees or stretching to reach something.
    Conveniences are nice but when they take away from the continuation of being free to move about, I can do without them.

I just do not want to be one of those whose lack of activity has caused them to be more disabled than they would have been had they simply taken the harder road.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes ,we have on and really comes in handy. Using one of these is not about being older or physical ailments, it is about being smarter when you have things to do:)

Shirley Martin likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have one for picking up small things but found out our snake grabber works even better for heavier objucts.We ordered it a few years ago becuase the other one couldn't pick up heavy snakes we took to the woods. We only kill them if they keep coming back to eat hen eggs.we had a few of our peeps eaten by snakes too,a picture of ours,

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have one that my son bought for his dad. I use it mostly to reach things on the top shelf of my cabinets. My kitchen and utility room shelves were custom built and reach to the ceiling. I keep things I seldom use on the top shelves. It helps me get things down without having to climb onto a chair.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have one in my kitchen and one in my garage, but I use them to get stuff from the top shelves rather than drag out a step-stool or a ladder. I don't use them to pick up stuff (yet.)

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have one around the house somewhere. Although it used to be leaning up against a wall just outside the bathroom, I don't know where it has gone to now. I've used it a few times because there are times when bending over to pick something up from the floor hurts.

11. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Recently my most often visited store moved some OTC supplements I buy all the time to the very top shelf where I can't reach. I'm think about taking in my back scratcher to pull them down. Stores should just hang a grabber in the aisles for those of us who aren't 5'10 or so.

Joe Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do have one and although I don't use it often, when needed, it's very handy.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Good plan, Lon. Hubby is tall too and bending over sometimes makes him dizzy. I've used one to pull things out that fall behind the dryer.

Marie Mallery and Jack Roberts like this.
  14. Brian Naginoth

Brian Naginoth Well-Known Member
    Registered

Can bend over to pick up a dime. But the claw arm would be nice to reach storage on top of cupboards. Guess I'm shrinking with age as are we all. Now, if only they can make trousers that shorten a predetermined amount with every washing.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have 2 small ladders we use too. One has 3 steps other one has 5 with a handle [ for bette word] pn top to lean on just used that one yesterday cleaning fans.

John Brunner likes this.