Do You Like Leftover Pizza For Breakfast? I Sure Do

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 17, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've subscribed to tons of different eating and cooking newsletters, websites and emails. I've read a few articles on how we get locked in to these ideas of what breakfast "should be." I recall a short-lived movement where folks had sandwiches for breakfast, as much for portability as for any other reason. I guess throughout history you ate what was available, huh?

There's an adage out there that goes "Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, dinner like a Pauper." The thought is to eat the bulk of your calories as you're starting off your day and need/will burn off the calories. Of course, those of us with desk jobs could debate this. But the larger point is to not eat the largest meal of the day when we are the most sedentary, as has become the custom.

Regarding cold pizza...at least the cheese and the toppings are gonna stay put! (I have a high school lunchtime story about this one.)

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno. Kinda reminds me of a movie I saw when a guy got out of bed, grabbed what was left of his leftover pizza and ate it then threw some Cocoa Puffs in his mouth and washed it down with what was left of a warm beer.

That said, the jury is still out so far as the health concerns of having pizza for breakfast. Granted, way back when I used to have a way stupid schedule, I would often stop off at night and get a pizza then polish it off in the morning whilst lumbering around getting ready for work.
    It didn’t seem unhealthy because the carbs and proteins were there along with some fats and whatever needed working off I would do because I was always non-stop until I got back home.

But now that I look back and know what I know now, that really wasn’t such a good idea after all. Pepperoni is a processed meat loaded with sodium and canned tomato / pizza sauce has sugar in it both of which are no-no’s especially if one lives a sedentary life. If one is looking at their HDL and LDL levels then nope, a processed meat lover’s pizza with a whole lot of cheese isn’t the best thing a person can have for breakfast.
    Matter of fact, just thinking about it is raising my blood pressure and could cost me an extra hour in the gym.

The good news is that believe it or not, there’s quite a few really good recipes for a breakfast pizza but from what I have experienced, they won’t measure up if one is expecting to have to wipe the grease from one’s chin after every bite.