Do You Live Where You Truly Want To?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

At the forum's age, it can be darn near impossible to move, but if you could, where would that be to?

For us, we do and don't. This definitely isn't the same city we visited in 2004 for the County Fair. But, then again, almost everywhere along the Front Range aka Eastern Slope has changed and grown considerably since we left in Oct. 2007. Many of the Seniors here don't like either the change or the growth. We can understand their feelings, but..........simply can't stop progress!

We truly "thought" that northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, was our last move and we'd be there forever. But, note the word "thought". Jacksonville and Florida was/is very, very different than Colorado. We really didn't realize how much we missed Colorado until we came back here for a week in 2018.

Funny, but my wife has an old female co-worker in Jacksonville who has asked her a couple of times if we'd ever move back, or even go on vacation, to Jacksonville or somewhere else in Florida. Our very fast answer, "sorry, absolutely not".

So, if you do live where you truly want to, why? Weather, family or...........

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

What's the Forum's age have to do with anything? How about the age of it's members? Your posts are as clear as mud. I would NEVER live any place that I did not want to.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What I meant, that you didn't understand, was the forum members age, not how long the forum has been operating.

Perhaps you would never live somewhere you didn't want to, but there are quite a few in America that have to. This is due to, as I've already said, a job telling an employee they have to take a job transfer or will be laid-off or a family members heath that lives somewhere. We talked to people in Jacksonville, Florida that wanted to leave Florida, but they were taking care of a family member and couldn't leave.

There can be a multitude of reasons why a person either likes or dislikes where they are living, but some can and some can't do anything about leaving.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I know what you were trying to say but did not say it properly. Have you been leaving your cowboy hat on the bed ?

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Again, making fun........but, that's ok Lon. Anyway, I'm still replying to your threads.............or should I be?:D

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have only lived one place that I probably wouldn't have if I had a real choice, but most of my dwelling places have been of my choosing. I dragged my family to several places that I wanted to work, but when we went to rural Alaska, they really didn't want to go. When I was ready to leave, they REALLY didn't want to leave the place they viewed as a true paradise. I bribed and cajoled the kids and they eventually adjusted to living on the "road system". I think the oldest 4 children still think of the bush of Alaska as their home. I could certainly move should I choose to do so, but I would only move further into the boonies if I moved. Since I am now an old man, I would need to stay near a highway, however, in case I needed help. Wife has a very established "friend network", so I plan to stay here until I pass.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If you don't already, that is, have the "perfect place to live", and you could physically/financially move, where would that be to? A certain place may not be totally "perfect", but it can come close to it.

And, yes, there are some seniors that are still able to move, like ourselves. Of course, moving is much, much easier when renting than it is buying/bought.

I've already discussed why we want to move from where we are now, and I don't mean just out of the city, but out of the state altogether. There are cities that have changed, like where we are, and cities/states that just plainly cost to much to live in. For some, "cost" don't mean anything, they plainly love where they live.

In a different, and older, thread, I talked about how I have high school classmates from my graduation class of 1968, that still live in the same are they did when in high school. Guess that's their "perfect place".

So, is where you are now living, your "perfect place" or...............

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sorry, didn't know I had another thread about the same subject. When doing a new thread, many of us don't think about looking in "Search" to see if we had done a thread like the one we are doing.

But, thanks for moving it.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll stay in the same state but it looks like an oldie community is in my future..can't keep up with the things that need to be done to the house. getting really old sucks..but relief is going for a ride in my own car with me driving.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We have been living in our perfect place for ten years. But because of outrageous renting prices among other things we are being forced out of the city also. Having to uproot ourselves and move 50 to 100 miles away is most unfortunate, Of course hoping for a miracle.

Don Alaska and Jeff Elohim like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Moving is easy enough. In fact, at my age, I wouldn't even have to worry about whether there were jobs in the new place since I can take my job and my Social Security with me. The difficulty is increased slightly if you want to own your own home and land, which I do, but I still think that's doable, and I probably have at least one more move in me.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If we had the resources, I wouldn’t mind snagging something like the dilapidated house in the picture for a final move.

upload_2022-7-14_10-53-42.jpeg

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Dang, Bobby, that looks like the Munster family lives there.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

For us, now, it's definitely more of the "don't" than "do". Since I've already described, in another thread, what we "don't like" about the complex we live in and the city, here are the "do like"....................well, sorry, but I can't think of a "do like" anymore.

Will Wyoming, or someplace like it, be an "I love it here" for us, don't know yet, but will be finding out this time next year.

And, just to let members know, the manager we had is no longer employed here or living here. I do remember her telling wife and I, in her office, "I'm tired of babysitting these kids here". IOW, there are many rules/policies in the leasing agreement that the young adults that live here, absolutely refuse to follow.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Actually, no one lives there but in my mind’s eye I can see two, three or more generations being raised in that house.
    I can see all the hardwoods used to build the stairs and floors and the craftsmanship in the details.
    I’m sure there are probably built in chests under the windows in the bedrooms and a full pantry next to the kitchen that was once outfitted with an old baked enamel stove with a proofing compartment for those wonderful yeast breads to rise before baking.
    There’s probably a library and a room for sewing and a myriad of other features that I can imagine.

To me, the only thing scary about that house is she’s alive and still waiting for the right person(s) to come along and make it a home again and bring her back to the grandeur she once knew.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.