Do You Miss Work?

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't but it seems that my sub-conscious does because I have dreams about work and there always unpleasant because I'm always in a quandary in the dream.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am still gainfully self employed but there are times when I think about going back into food and beverage for a spell then I think about the commitment it takes to hold down a position. e.g. having to live with a schedule, employer expectations etc.
    And then there’s my own proclivity to demand excellence and advancement from myself and that too takes commitment which, let’s face it, advancement means more commitment and greater expectations from others and more hours.

At this stage of the game, I can’t even guarantee how long I will keep a position because frankly, I love my freedom.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've always had great relationships with my bosses. When I got laid off of my last job (which shoved my into retirement), one of my prior bosses there also got laid off. We had often told each other that we would finish our careers out there, since neither of us felt was had another "do over" in us. She is a year younger than I. She was not in a position to quit working just yet so found another job. In the DC area, you can always find work, your lack of motivation notwithstanding. I had moved to the middle part of the state and looked for work in Charlottesville and in the state capitol. Options here are limited to working at universities, hospitals, and (in the case of Richmond) banking.

I looked and got discouraged. I could also tell that my heart wasn't in it. I could not cobble together an enthusiastic demeanor, and couldn't inflict any more damage on my self-respect (or on those interviewing me) by even pretending. Had I still lived up north I could have jumped right back into it for another few years and stayed on auto-pilot. But finding a job here took more effort and motivation than I could scrape together, and after taking a look at my finances, I figured that as long as I didn't do any international travel (absent the occasional 7-11 visit), I could make things work.

I had advanced pretty much throughout my career, managing large staffs with lots of responsibility in the business. My last job of 10 years was an independent position I had created for myself where I kind of free-floated in the business, getting involved in lots of interesting projects and putting my experience to use as sort of an internal consultant. I missed managing people, but also found relief in not having all the accountability for the work done (or not done) by others. And it was that unique position I made for myself that hampered my ability to find another job when I got laid off, because there was no clear standard equivalent in other businesses.

I still miss doing the actual work. I was Treasurer and general business guy (and field hand) for a non-profit for 7 years. I really loved it, but they ran out of money and volunteers. I've not found a replacement, and don't think I'm likely to.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes.

Frank

5. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I miss my wonderful teaching colleagues and students. Many of my former students stop and chat if we meet in town.

I don’t miss having to get up at 5am so my husband could get me showered and dressed and ready to be picked up at eight before he left for work at six.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.