Do You Pray? How Often?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The way I pray is to refrain from speaking obscenities during Good Fridays every year.

Hal

3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born praying and believing but as I got OLDER and more spiritual and chose other beliefs, I found more benefit to affirmations and visualizations. I don't know what or who I'd pray to today. Now, I meditate a lot and do affirmations that all is well ... I'd love to see so much misery disappear in the world and all those praying all over the world, have so much misery. That's what I see.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have had many friends, family and strangers pray for me during my lifetime and I truly appreciate it. I think supportive and positive thoughts about people and things instead of prayer.

5. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes. Usually early morning, or late at night.
    I pray for family, mostly, but world wide events also. Once a week, at an informal breakfast with Christian friends around a table in a private room.

I believe in prayer because I've seen it perform in action, in what seemed like a miracle.
    For example, once a few years ago, I was asked to attend, and pray for the best outcome at a child custody hearing for someone in our family. The father wanted custody, and he and his lawyer had a great case, but the mother wanted custody to keep the girls, 4 and 6, together. I prayed for the lawyer to rule the correct way, and what would be best for the children. I asked God to remember the story of Solomon and the women who were fighting over which one was the true mother, and how wise Solomon was to find the true mother.

When the lawyer came out after about an hour for his decision, he said for some reason the story of Solomon was on his mind. He ruled in favor of the mother, (I couldn't hear anything, and later was fitted for hearing aids), and that's what they told me out in the hall after the ruling. That's a true story. And there are others.

During this pandemic, I have prayed scores of times for the promises in Psalm 91 to be true for our family. Although one of my daughters and both SIL's contracted Covid, they survived.
    We are still in prayer for our family's health - too many to mention- during this scary time. Also, our church sends out prayer requests once a week, and I prayer especially for the ones I know well, and of course for the others also.

6. Hal Pollner

Registered

ME TOO!
    Hal

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

People pray so that others will notice them praying.

There is no other need for it.

Hal

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

Good for you, Beth!
    Hope is the most powerful sentiment one can give.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Uh, millions upon millions of people pray with no one watching. As a matter of fact, it’s a Biblical precept for prayer.
    Now obviously, you’re writing about corporate prayer in which one person speaks for all or even a round of prayer where each person in attendance takes a turn submitting their prayers to God.

Now, as far as there being a need for it, at this stage in your life and viewing your present circumstances, I’d re-think the value of talking with God.
    From the sound of the way things have been going for you, whatever you are doing isn’t working.

The thing about God is that He only knocks on the door, He doesn’t knock it down. He waits for you to open the door first and even then, you have to ask Him to come in.
    You’re free to do anything you want and any way you choose. It’s just that God’s way is a lot better.
    And yes, he does like it when you talk to Him and if you give Him the chance, He isn’t silent.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I pray. I pray all the time. I feel there's not a moment that goes by that is not in need of prayer.

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly moved to another forum couple years back Hal, if that helps you any.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Apparently you are logged in or you couldn't post a reply. Here's the photo...

Bobby.jpeg