Do You Remember The Ice Cream Truck Of Years Past?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Our Ice Cream Truck was a fleet of "Good Humor" trucks that slowly rolled through neighborhoods playing a nursery rhyme jingle.

I liked their chocolate nut-covered vanilla bars...

Hal

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Well here is Assisted Living's current version and relief from our 101 F outside temps

ICE CREAM TRUCK.jpg

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon, the Ice Cream Truck of the past is still alive and running. We had one go thru our apt. complex in Jacksonville, FL and we seen one go thru our apt. complex here in northern Colorado yesterday.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

How cute is that :)

I've noticed more food trucks out and about since covid as restaurants tried anything to stay afloat. Never thought they were safe to eat from, and I still haven't, but if someone adds cookies and margaritas to an ice cream truck, I might change my mind.

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Oakmont residents can enjoy this treat today that was arranged by our Activity Director.

6. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My very bad habit is having ice cream after 9 pm! :(

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope! I just finished a bowl of Oregon-made Umpqua blackberry swirl. The finish time was 13:35 hours PST. 3 PM is too late and gives me night flatulence.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I can have ice cream anytime I want. Last night I had Texas-made Ultimate Peaches and Cream at around 9 p.m.

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Registered

What's wrong with ice cream after 9 PM?

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There used to be an old fashioned ice cream parlor in Arlington VA called "Giffords." They had a concoction called an Alpine Split. I'd walk out of there looking as though I were smuggling a volleyball.

My last employer hosted ice cream socials in the parking lot a couple of times a year. They would bring in a local vendor who made their own ice cream.

There is nothing quite as good.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

An ice cream truck rolls down our road a couple of times a day and the convenience store is a block away so I guess I can have ice cream just about any time I want it….but I don’t.

It might be a good thing for others and a comfort food and morale builder for the residents but for me, nope. Maybe once in 6 months or so but it costs me a lot of work to compensate for that much sugar. If I’m going to get down to 8% or so body fat and keep my joints as healthy as I can then all that stuff is long gone from my diet.
    As it is, I gotta start limiting my intake of peanut butter. Ice cream isn’t missed a bit but I could eat a jar of peanut butter at one sitting.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Ice cream is considered one of the most addictive foods, right up there with cheese and other dairy products. Ice cream has not only dairy , which is addictive in any form, but also a hefty load of both fat and sugar, which are two of the foods that our human species has learned to crave and enjoy.

Because it is important for mothers and babies (of any species) to bond, and for babies to want to nurse, there is a small amount of an opium-like substance that is in all dairy, which stimulates the same pleasure receptors as opium and other similar drugs affect.
    Fats and sugars also stimulate those pleasure receptors, which is why we feel so great after a bowl of ice cream, or a wonderful pizza, with lots of pepperoni and gooey cheeses.

If I have even one dish of ice cream, then I want more, and would be just like an alcoholic, wanting ice cream every night. So, I stay away from it altogether. I don’t even remember when was the last time that Bobby and I had ice cream.

Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - you snooze you loose.. I will eat your share:D
    We have our own recipe that we use to make homemade ice cream. Hope to make it next month l to celebrate our 30 anniversary :)

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Yes, Gloria, losing is EXACTLY what I am trying to do (among other things). You are most welcome to all of my ice cream now and forever……

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You know something...we never had an ice cream truck in my town. I moved here as an adult and we have an ice cream truck that won't sell to adults. They drive right by. I was so mad!

Bobby Cole likes this.