Do You Rent? Have You Had Increases?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

This one is the funny :):):)

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My Father in law was paying about $3500-3600 a month at assisted living. That is real cheap from what I see and hear.It was real nice with all the amenties Lon has .

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What part of the country? And how long ago? (If I may ask.)

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not everyone can afford what you pay. I do understand these rents go up yearly 1%. I have lived in a condo earlier and now a home. The only downside now is I have stairs. The outdoor work is done by family sometimes. Condo living is great if u want to travel. Just lock up and go. I may consider doing just that. Though maintenance fees are high.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Susan, I have told Lon this before (in red) and he sort of understood. I also told him that not every Senior gets a nice Pension and SS. What can be said, the guy has money!

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just recently we got lucky, in that, for our next lease of our 2-bedroom apartment and rent of two garages, the cost will stay the same as it was before. In early 2020, we were going to get a rent increase, but asked not to and we got what we asked for.........no increase.

About a month ago, we got our notice for our next lease renewal. The apartment rent didn't go up, but both garages did by $15 per month. We asked if the garages could stay the same cost and were told "ok". We rent two garages, right next to each other. One for our vehicle and the other for storage.

During winter of 2019-2020, our vehicle was outside all the time, so we wanted to get it into a garage for this winter. The garage next to us became available and we took it. Will probably give it up at the beginning of summer, since we won't need it for summer.

8. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well if he can afford it, why not? I for one can't. Though I am happy as is.

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

You forgot to mention that I was smart enough to buy Long Term Care Insurance in my 50's which pays for MORE than half of my $ 7,117 rent and Care Fees.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  10. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I missed that opportunity, but thankfully my stepfather (recently deceased) and my mother (97!) had to foresight to purchase the LTC insurance. They moved into a independent living unit about 7 years ago, then into an assisted living unit about 3 years ago, and most recently into a "memory" unit. Not sure of the $$ since my older brother takes care of all that for them, but it certainly has made their life a little easier.

I had hoped to see my mother this week, but the facility is not allowing any outside visitors.

11. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Holy Moley Lon, I just google earthed your address. Talk about high density housing. The house in your surroundings area are cheek on jowl. Not enough room between them to set up a horseshoe pit.

12. Lon Tanner

Registered

Not so Pete----You must have the wrong location. What address did you google?

13. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

5605 N Gates. Your place is there looking good,traffic circle nearby. High density single family homes for miles around it looks.

14. Lon Tanner

Registered

You got it Pete---It sure isn't country but I never thought of it as high density.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Lon Tanner I've often wondered about living in such places: COVID notwithstanding, could I keep my car? Could I come and go as I please, or am I under restrictions?

I understand that their COVID rules would pretty much preclude people going off-campus, but in normal times, could I just get out, jump in my car and drive off without getting permission/giving notification?

Do I retain possession of my keys, or do I have to hand them over to an employee and ask for them when I want to get away for a bit?