Does Anyone Else Have a Blog Online?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been blogging since 2007. I've developed four or five blogs, keep them a while, then delete them.

2. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Looked and read blogs many times and often wondered, do you mind your having your all exposed on the now somewhat dodgy Internet.

Has it put you off sharing or altered the way you write your Blogs ?

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

I don't think so, Val. I've I have decided some years ago privacy had fled and was no longer valid, especially on the internet.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I admit to being far behind most people that are tech savvy. I've only looked at Yvonne's blog, and I enjoyed that immensely. But, I felt like an intruder. I can't even bring myself to check out people on FB, not even my own family or friends. It makes me feel like a peeping Tom. I've always been a very private person, and it has always been important to me not to invade other's privacy. How can I expect others to respect my privacy if I don't give out what I expect in return? I now understand that if it is online there is little if no expectation of privacy. I learned this the hard way when my son died last year, and I came apart on the first forum I ever joined. At first I didn't understand that the whole world was able to see my pain, and by the time I finally understood this, it was too late.

Diane Lane and Val White like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Hi, Ina, blogs are written to be read; you'd not be intruding, in fact if you felt inclined to comment on something someone had written on a blog it would probably be appreciated. I am not a tech savvy person either but by trying and trying again, etc. I have learned a little bit.

6. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel as Ina does about blogs, an interloper peeking in on someones life which leaves you feeling somewhat uncomfortable. Ina hit the nail on the head with 'At first I didn't understand that the whole world was able to see my pain, and by the time I finally understood this, it was too late'.

The Internet has changed beyond all recognition and whilst I am in awe of it's endless capabilities, I also recognize that it can also be a terrifying tool in the wrong hands

7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you Drifter, You do encourage me. That is why I so enjoy your writings. They are generally about how to keep on keeping on, and in the last year or so I have come to look forward to those installments of determination that you provide so well. So of course I'll do as you suggest, and keep trying. My techie guru is Yvonne, and I'm sure she will vouch for the fact that I've learned much in the last year.

I hope you've been well. I have missed many of my old friends, but I just couldn't take the heat that had generated by so much back biting.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yvonne is, I/m sure, a good mentor. I have read some of your writing in the past and you should have no hesitation what so ever in reading or writing wherever you want to read or write Yvonne writes a blog and I have read three or four of her offerings. I particularly liked the story of the old dress. A cherry day to you mi lady.

9. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

My blogs never lasted too long and when I did have a person leave a comment, good or bad, I felt pretty good!

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As of yet, I do not. My wife has encouraged me to start one and two other writers are asking me to write a book. There are also blog type books that are out there and maybe that is the direction I might wish to go. Does anyone have a coin to flip? Heads it's a blog. Tails it's a book. If it lands on edge, (which is likely in my life) I shall deem it as a sign, that the gods and bards that sit atop Mt. Writers Cramp have deemed me unworthy to empty my pen upon the parchment.
    Either way, I am still thinking about it and am determined that tomorrow I shall quit procrastinating and simply do something. What? I do not know. What were we talking about?

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Ever thought that the only thing you do better than procrastinating is procrastinating procrastination (there is a blog in there somewhere..isn't there)

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have a small blog that has no direction and little purpose. I sometime discuss politics and sometime times let my depressions show through. I have very few readers, if any. It where I can express myself more publicly.

http://www.thelastsooner.blogspot.com

I call it My Journal.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My blog got started because my oldest son asked me to write down some of the things that I remembered about his grandparents, and about life when I was growing up. He wanted it to be written down for his kids and grandkids to be able to read about the family history.
    I thought and thought about how on earth I wanted to accomplish that. Write down stuff and email it to him (or to everyone in the family ? ) That did not seem like a brilliant way to do it.
    At the same time, I was also posting some of the stories on other forums that I belonged to, and realized that these would be perfect for the family history.
    I came up with the idea of writing a blog, then it would be there for whomever wanted to read it; and if others besides my family liked it, too, then it would be there online for anyone to read. When the inspiration for a story hits me; I write it.

@Ina I. Wonder , I also feel a deep respect for others privacy. However, things that are put on Facebook, or on a blog, are put there specifically to be shared with other people.
    Imagine if you have beautiful flowers and shrubs that you put in the front yard. You are happy for anyone who drives by to see them and admire it.
    If you have a little private garden hidden away in your back yard, then that is your special private place and only shared by you and your friends and family.
    Social media and online blogs are like the flowers planted in the front yard. They are out front for the world to see. It is perfectly fine for you to read these things and you are not invading any "private place".

14. Bill Boggs

Registered

On my last blog that I closed out about a year ago, during the time I was writing the blog, because I had participated in a combined study by the cVeterans Administration and the University of Oklahoma's medical School I was invited to visit the Medical and talk to both fourth year medical students and to the Geriatrics doctors. The professor who got me involved with the study and the Med School wanted to use my blog as a teaching and he did for the balance of that year. He also gave it to his grad students. I thought too many people had so I cancelled my blog.
    On that blog I wrote about my illness and how I coped and what I did to overcome depression, etc, etc. Anyway the blog I have not is to express myself on whatever interest me, or sometime current events, generally whatever i feel I can write intelligently about. Sometimes it's fun.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I tried to look at the link for Bill Boggs blog. (Try saying that three times real fast) But it says that the server can't be accessed