1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Anyone Else Like Lamb?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John Brunner, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

While we're at it ...

upload_2022-11-5_1-57-14.jpeg

[​IMG]

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a little Lambchop sitting on my dashboard as well as some sheep in my pasture.

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Registered

Aldi has leg of lamb roast in the spring. It is deboned and seasoned. The first time I tried it it was quite good. The second time, not so much. I think lamb is like venison. If you get alllllllll the fat off, it can be quite good.
    Pork is not the same flavor as it used to be. It is sort of tasteless. They feed it to be low fat, I think.

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Man, I used to have those puppets (as well as a king-sized crush on Shari.) Don't forget Hush Puppy.

[​IMG]

Regarding the intelligence level of pigs...I totally get it.

Joe Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

VERY tasteless! I did not eat pork for years because it had absolutely no flavor. I know what proper raised pork is supposed to taste like... pork! The pork I seen in the store looks whiteish. It is not supposed to look like that. It's NOT, nor ever was meant to be the other white meat .I don't know what they have done to the pork industry. I think they want it to taste the same the world over, but I don't know. I buy my pork from a local pig farmer. It's a little pricey, but tastes so good.

8. Mary Stetler

Registered

That geetaar is rather impressive although my little lambs are big wet sheep this morning. And as I told them I don't DO wet animals.:confused:

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I love Boston butt roast, and pork steaks, both cut from the shoulder. Lots of fat. Don't care for anything with the name loin, or pork chops. Dry as cactus.:p I probably just never learned how to cook it. When I was growing up (aka, when I ate cooked meals) everyone probably over-cooked pork because of likely unjustified fear parasites. That fear seems to have disappeared.

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

I don't know if is a law everywhere to use them but de-wormers are not just for covid. I have to deworm my sheep because of previous pasture occupation. I dewormed my heifer before sending her out for freezer. I was a little concerned because it had been a wet year and I know we have slugs everywhere which can cause liver flukes at least. All the beasties' droppings contain eggs of the not good kind.
    I assume factory farms are dewormed, and vaccinated plenty. At the very least to increase meat output.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree. I used to really like pork chops. Now it's kind of ...meh. I have to dump a bunch of spices on them or cook them in some sort of gravy to give them any flavor.

As far as lamb, no thanks.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Boston butt I've had has always been smoked, sort of disguising the flavor of the pork.

I just posted a couple of pork chop recipes. I sometimes buy a loin and thick-cut slices rather than buying chops.

Grilled Pork Medallions With Mustard uses an easy, flavorful marinade consisting of only 3 ingredients: dijon mustard, jarred banana peppers and honey. I was shocked at how good it is. The recipe includes directions for a pasta side that's made with some of the marinade...the pasta is well worth making.

Easy Honey Pork Chops are pan-fried chops topped with a quick "no real need to measure the ingredients" sauce made of butter, honey and pecans.

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have read varying opinions on whether to age lamb or mutton. I think it depends on what you have grown up eating and what it tastes like. I argued for years to have pigs, but wife always vetoed it. One year we bought a hog at a 4-H auction, and she was converted. We had our pigs out behind the goat barn and fed them with Alaska-grown barley mixed with milk "waste" such as whey and milk that had an off taste or was too old. My wife also used to sometimes react to commercial pork, as she is allergic to sulfa and some farmers have used that in the feed. Our pork was wonderful. We had the bacon commercially done, but cured our own hams. We couldn't beat the butchers' bacon, but we sure could make ham better than he did. The only meat I have ever aged was moose.

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I think the FDA or the Dept. of Agriculture has now okayed undercooked commercially-raised pork. No trichinosis has been found in commercial pork in over 50 years. If you brine or marinate the lean cuts, it helps a lot.

Nancy Hart and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It is really difficult to cook a pork chop and not have it dry. I cook pork and chicken until they are done; if I see any "pink" I will get the heaves. :D So pork is dry at my house!!

I like to put a Boston butt in the crock pot and cook on slow all day, then remove a lot of the fat and shred, add Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, and eat on a bun with pickle and onion.