Don't Take Your Eyes Off Valuables

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Joy Martin, May 8, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

When at appts and such, markets and I'm talking about wallets, purses and don't carry more to where you go than you really need...Leave valuables at home...

Here is a hard note from a person on nextdoor forum, this woman is in a LOT of distress now and has to work to replace everything......OMG Thieves have always been out there but I truly believe MORE in these times of our life....

Here is the woman's Story:

Wow, so frustrating. My wallet was stolen while I was at the eye doctor's. It must have fallen out of my backpack.
    I had my Social and Temporary driver's license, credit cards, blank checks, Costco card, insurance information, and about $100 cash.
    I know who stole it, but I didn't have proof. Two women were standing outside the doctor's office. One opened her bag, and the other person looked inside. It was before I knew my wallet was stolen and not just missing.
    One of the women was telling the front desk that her two sons had died and was complaining about a parking fee. The woman with her was a tall woman with blonde hair that I think was her daughter.
    I had to close my checking accounts, cancel the three credit cards, Freeze my credit reporting accounts, and notify the DMV and Social Security.
    It's better to be safe than sorry, and just because someone looks like a sweet old lady, you don't know what they are capable of.
    So I am stranded, without cash, and can't drive my car or buy groceries. I don't have a photo ID or passport.
    Such a strange feeling. I pray that nothing happens to my husband regarding emergency visits or doctor's appointments.
    I have wonderful neighbors whom I am sure I can ask for help, but I don't want to have to ask.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Becoming even more common unfortunately. I relatives and neighbors who have had to go thru this.
    I have one CC no cash, and no checks most of the time. I am more fearful of losing my phone than purse. Thieves would be disappointed for the most part.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife only carries a zip-up coin purse in her jeans with necessities in it (DL, a few credit cards, bank card, insurance cards and a little cash). I will have my wallet with same. But, if I’m among a number of people, I’ll put my wallet in front jeans pocket.

Certain things it’s a must that people carry on them.

Mary Stetler and Ed Wilson like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Never carry your Social Security card with you. There's no good reason to do so.

I do what Cody does...I carry my wallet in my front pocket. But that's mostly because putting it in my rear pocket when I'm driving screws up my back.

It's funny this subject should come up now. My wallet's capacity has been exceeded. I'm cleaning it out and looking for a replacement. I wonder if they have any with security in mind.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Joy Martin

Registered

When I have an appt and don't have them very often....I take ONLY my debit card...No need for anything else.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Joy Martin

Registered

Hey Cody I gather your wife is not a member here...you speak very often on her behalf....

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have an RFID wallet, that protects cards from those scanning devices. I have been putting a "lock" on my debit card. I have the banking app on my phone so I can unlock the card if I need to use it.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

Good news, the wallet was found in the doc's office, the woman went back to doc's office and they went thru it and found the wallet with everything in it, but $ 100 of course, money is too tempting and more than ever since good ole covid...

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't carry my vehicle owner's card and proof of insurance papers in my wallet any more. I fell in the water up to my waist while fishing and they, along with everything else got soaked. They are kept in the glove compartment now. If my pocket is ever picked, I avoid the hassle of replacing them also.

I'm a front pocket wallet carrier too.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've lost my wallet a few times in my life, but it was returned each time, as discussed in this thread.

11. John Brunner

I found a bank envelope cash in it sitting on the check pedestal at the checkout of Walmart on evening. I knew it belonged to the lady who was in front of me, but she had already left and it took a while for me to check out. I took it to the Customer Service Desk (a leap of faith), and when I got to the parking lot, I thought I recognized her at her car. I asked her if she might have left a credit card at the register (ain't I clever?) and when she said "No, I paid with cash," I knew I had the right person. I told her to check for her cash, and when she did and said that her envelope was gone, I sent her hack inside to retrieve it.

As Ken said in his other thread, we tend to think the worse, but the vast majority of people are like us.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

So then if one of us finds an envelope of money or a wad of money and no idea where it came from, what does one do, we can't just broadcast "who lost $$$$" anyone could reply....I guess we keep it. I believe the most I found on the street in my life was a $20 bill.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I guess take it back to the store whose parking lot it may be in (and hope they do the right thing), or take it to the police. At least with the cops you get a receipt and if it goes unclaimed, it's yours. But I imagine there are circumstances where there's no plausible way to figure out who the owner is. I've never been in that position, as best I recall. I did have the ATM kick me an extra $20 once. I gave it back.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yup, Amazon has ‘em with chains and made out of anti-scan material.

And yeah, I carry my wallet in my front pocket because generally speaking, sweats don’t have back pockets.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

Funny, one of the first things I thought about were Biker Billfolds with the chains.

Bobby Cole likes this.