Dr. Davis Grain-free Diet, Wheat Belly Book

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After reading Dr. William Davis Super Gut book and starting to make the L.Reuteri yogurt, I next read his book about grains, called Wheat Belly. This book explains in depth what has happened with the original grains that people ate, how they have been modified for higher production, as well as genetically modified against insects, and treated with dangerous insecticides.
    He suggests a lot of good health benefits from going completely grain-free, which actually fits in well with my low-carb eating plan; so I am now learning to make low-carb breads with alternate flours made from almonds, flax, psyllium, coconut, chickpeas, and more.

Today, I am making a loaf of lentil/flax bread. I made it from the brownish green lentils (soaked overnight), flax and almond meal, psyllium husk flour, chia, sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds, and spices.
    It is in the toaster oven, and I am hoping for a success.

Here is the recipe:

IMG_5496.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

My lentil bread is out of the oven and cooling !

IMG_5498.jpeg

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

This site needs Smell-o-Vision.

That looks good.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Boy, lentils, psyllium...lets see, all you need would be the inulin. I hope you can open some windows where you are.:)

5. John Brunner

She's close to Redstone Arsenal. Got a built-in scapegoat. Lord knows what bio-warfare agent sumthin-or-other they're cookin' up. Sure wish they would do it downwind.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Got butter?

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

I am still doing the intermittent fasting, sometimes OMAD and sometimes one main meal after swimming at the fitness center, and then later on a small plain salad. Weight loss is still happening, and I don’t hurt anywhere, fingers working better, and enough energy .

I read the Dr. Davis books about Super Gut and Wheat Belly, and have not had any foods with any kind of sugar or anything with grain (any kind) for about two months now.

Then, I read Dr. Gundry’s book Plant Paradox and stopped eating foods with lectins, which attach to fat cells and let them keep stuffing in more fat……… YIKES !

Now, I am reading Dr. Gundry’s book called Longevity Paradox, and he is explaining why plant protein can help you live longer and animal protein can shorten your life.. Since I want to live long and look young, I am cutting way back on animal foods now, too.

By now, you probably think that I am living on romaine lettuce and that is why I am losing weight; but that is only partially true. I have been doing the cleansing routine that Dr. Gundry recommends, which is mostly veggies like cauliflower, broccoli and salads; but i do have a little bit of protein like sardines or the L. Reuteri yogurt each day.
    Once I stop the gut-cleansing part, then there are more foods that I will be eating; but I am definitely transitioning back to plant foods again. The difference is that this time it is not just a fat-free diet, and I am having avocados each day and olive oil on my salads, which gives me lots of energy.

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Sound's like it may be healthy but for me it would be a task. Plus, if I lose any more weight I may disappear. I'm way too skinny, need some fat on me.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

I am reading another book about lectins, and here is a screenshot of what is says they can do to your body.

IMG_0020.png IMG_0021.png

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Another great book about how grain affects your body and brain is “Grain Brain”, by Dr.. Perlmutter, who is also the author of the uric acid book that I am now reading.
    Dr. Perlmutter is a neurologist, so he is more focused on what happens with the brain, where Dr. Davis is focused on what it does in our digestive system and gut biome. Both books are great to read.
    This book is also on sale , from $30 down to $2.99 for the kindle ebook, so I just purchased it this morning. Kindle only keeps them marked down like this for a day or so, so if you are interested, now is the time to grab it.
    @John Brunner , @Don Alaska , this might be interesting for you !

IMG_5729.jpeg

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  11. John Brunner

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

One of the things that I have noticed over the last few weeks is that my age spots on my hands, which had been clearing up, are now looking darker again, and I think it is probably because I have indulged in more grain foods over the holidays.
    Even oats contribute to age spots, as well as they have fungus , which is not good. He said that is why people grow mushrooms in oats.
    Dr. Davis says that it is something (can’t remember what he calls it) in wheat , and somewhat in other grains as well, that causes the skin discoloration that we call age spots, or liver spots.

I need to revisit the book and get back on the grain-free program. Not only are the age spots worse, but I do not feel the energy that I had before, and have gained weight, too.

13. Yvonne Smith

I am making some flaxseed bread in the toaster oven. It seemed pretty easy, and I am hoping it turns out as good as the one in the video I watched. Here is the recipe link for the website:
    https://elavegan.com/keto-flaxseed-bread/

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Make sure and smell the seeds. If they smell like paint, they are going rancid. Was just telling daughter that today.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.