Earthquake On The 4th Of July!

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well it’s the worst I ever felt last night but I’ve only lived here 16 years.

Most were very quick...this one went on too long. I kept thinking ...is it going to stop?

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I saw a post from an earthquake center in California that there is a possibility that the 7.1 was also a foreshock--11% likelihood of another even stronger quake in the next week, but no activity on the San Andreas at all.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bobby and I will be saying prayers for your safety, Chrissy ! Might be good to make sure you have plenty of bottled water, canned foods that you can eat cold, and dog food for the little Pickles puppy.
    If you should have a large quake that does damage near you, try to fill up your bathtub and washing machine with water in case the water goes out, too. You can flush your toilet and wash yourself as long as you have the extra water.
    Another thing that I did when I lived with no water or electricity, was fill a fairly large durable trash can. Of course, I had to fill it with either rain water or snow, but you could put one in your garage and use the hose to fill the tub with.
    Keep your car full of fuel, too, in case you have to make a run for it, and are able to use the roads.
    Sending HUGS, too !

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I would also recommend that you make sure all you cupboards and cabinet doors are secured in some way. We lost a lot of antique stuff when my wife's china hutch popped open back in November. Magma is moving and heating up the North Pacific. Yellowstone has seen an uptick in activity as well.

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It’s weird...the way my whole room shook and rolled, you’d think one item would fall or move but nothing did.

My fear is mainly a power outage in this heat....I did go and buy extra drinking water today and some non perishable items plus got some cash from bank...just in case.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I hope not...Last night was scary enough for me...

Yes my daughter is on the San Andreas fault line and they haven’t felt any of these.

I have been at their house when they’ve had minor quakes and those were very mild...a chandelier moved or something very minor...

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have lived in California for 72 years and have felt stronger quakes than this current one.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    Yesterday evening, as I sat in the kitchen, my wife in the living room, she suddenly exclaimed she felt shaking. At that moment I felt nothing, short of my usual dizzy nature, but then suddenly, I perceived the house was moving from side to side! I figured about one second per back and forth movement, pretty quick. Then, the blinds hanging across the two windows next to the table began knocking the window frame on either side. I gathered they swung like pendulums.

This lasted perhaps 5 to 10 seconds, and during that time, I imagined what it might be like to stand up and walk; when I did stand, it was all over. My first live experience of an aftershock. Quickly hundreds of posts appeared on the Laughlin Buzz. It was said the epicenter was again near Ridgecrest, CA, due west of us 177 direct-line miles, and that the magnitude exceeded July 4th's.
    Frank

9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

See.....I would be packing the car and heading towards the east. You guys are being all too brave.

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber
    Don't forget one of the biggest known earthquakes happened in the east, more or less, known as the New Madrid Earthquake, which destroyed completely the town of New Madrid, MO, and had a damage area 10 times the size of the San Francisco quake of 1906. It caused the Mississippi River, a mile wide, to reverse it's flow direction, and rang church-bells as far away as Pennsylvania.

"They remain the most powerful earthquakes to hit the contiguous United States east of the Rocky Mountains in recorded history."

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811–12_New_Madrid_earthquakes

"The New Madrid earthquakes were felt as far away as Canada and the eastern seaboard, the tremors caused church bells to ring in Boston and Philadelphia, the earth’s surface remained in a state of constant motion for nearly four months, several towns were destroyed, an 18 by 5 mile lake was created (Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee), and it appeared that the Mississippi River temporarily ran backwards."

See: https://geog.ucsb.edu/when-the-mississippi-flowed-backwards/

Yvonne Smith likes this.