Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Bill Boggs, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a lot of eargthquakes in Oklahoma, little shakers of 2.5 to 4.5 usually. The largest since I've been here was a 5.8. That one jarred things in the house. The firest eath earthquake I was ever close to was in Japan A companion and I were on a bridge outside Tokyo, Japan looking a Mt. Fujiyama. It was a clear day and the mountain was absolutely picture perfect. We were standing in the middle of a bridge and I wanted to photograph the mountain because I had never seen it before. Suddenly the bridge started shaking, my companion starts to run, then it began to sway, and footing became difficult, everyone on the bridge started running and so did I. When I got to the end my companion said, "Earthquake, come!. The bridge swayed a bit but did not fall. I said to my companion, "Were we not safe?" I was told 'sometime they fall.' That was my first
    Mount_Fuji.jpg
    and my one and only view of Mt. Fuji. Pretty volcano, isn't it?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

We have earthquakes every day all day long but most are less than 3.

Ive felt 2 5s since I moved here.....my first one it felt like a shifting side to side and I was on my computer and since it was my first quake...wasn't sure what had just happened. :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I was in LA on the 4th floor of this hotel sipping on a vodka tonic when the glass started dancing towd the edge of the table. I picked it up, took a sip, sit it down. It danced toward the edge even faster.I picked it up, drained it and looked up toward the ceiling. The hanging light was swaying in like a three foot arc. I took thee stars down to grond floor, rushed into the bar. Everyone talking, having a good time. The bar keep said no sweat, man. That was just a four or so. We get them all the time.

He asked me where I was from; I told him Texas. He said, "Man, I wouldn't live in that place. Those tornados would scare me."

So there you go, guess it's what you're used to.

4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Two days ago woke up early and at 4:30 there was a small quake. We don't get many but had to fix the walls in the house about 10 years ago when we got cracks in five places. Most people here would not go back in their houses when that one hit. I went out and explained to them that usually the first is the worst and the ones that follow are weaker.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I lived in Southern California for twelve years. During that time, we had some earthquakes but none that I would have known about if I hadn't read about them on the news. My brother called from Michigan once to ask if I was okay. He said that they had been reporting an earthquake that was supposed to have included the area in which I lived. I had been watching television, but not the news, and I hadn't noticed.

Martin Alonzo and Bill Boggs like this.
  6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Since you live in Fresno, you're near the Hayward Fault.

Hal

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have earthquakes almost every day, but because of the house structure and where it is situated, we seldom feel any. The last one we really felt was a 7.9 north of here in 2002. That was the first time I saw the walls of this house move. Our youngest child and his friends were riding bicycles on the dirt road by us and the quake was strong enough to flip them off the bikes. No one was hurt here and we had no significant damage. We were shaken, though. Daughter in Fairbanks was thrown across the room of her condo.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This is an interesting map of the places in America that have had earthquakes larger than 5.0 in the last 300 years. It was posted on Twitter by Jason Breshears (Archaix), who has some very interesting ideas about the earth, religion, and the future. We have discussed Archaix in some of the conspiracy threads, if anyone is interested in learning more about his viewpoints.
    Now, he is getting ready to explain more about what he thinks may be happening when we have the eclipse, and I am gathering from this map that he thinks earthquakes could be involved.
    Several other people have also mentioned earthquakes somehow being caused by the solar eclipse. The huge New Madrid earthquake happened from late 1811-early 1812, and there were eclipses at that time, too.
    Whether or not that happens, it is an interesting map.

IMG_6200.jpeg

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I moved to my current place in June of 2010. I August of 2011 there was an earthquake that did damage from Louisiana to Canada. The epicenter was about 5 miles from me. Our county got hit hard.

I've lived in the state since the early 60s and had no idea there were earthquakes here.

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

No earthquakes in Alaska in 300 years? Earthquakes have been documented to be linked to coronal holes on the Sun, and one of those is passing by this week, but I am not sure about eclipses. Maybe it is the CO2 generated by the West with power plants and such, but the Chinese CO2 doesn't have an effect.:)

11. Yvonne Smith

It says it is for the continental US, so even though the picture shows Alaska, I do not think it was included in the list of earthquakes. Have you had solar eclipses visible up there, @Don Alaska ?

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Not for years. I don't remember when the last one was.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

This is an interesting thing that I found today, related to the east coast quakes that we had recently. This chart shows where quakes along the Atlantic coast have been happening the last few months, and then seem to form some kind of semi-circle, more than just looking random.
    They are still having small earthquakes out there, I just read about another one yesterday, but not as large as the one that so many people felt out there.

This is a screenshot from a video I was watching on Twitter about the Atlantic quakes.

IMG_6431.jpeg