Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Don Alaska, Jan 9, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had heard a few horror stories of renting electric vehicles.

1-The rental car companies were not recharging the vehicles, so when they hand you the keys, there aren't many miles in the battery.

2-Customers were stealing the model-specific charging adapters (I heard this of Teslas), and the companies were not replacing them or managing the process very well (like charging a deposit.) So when you rent the EV, you have no way of charging it.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

omg, all I can say is I'm thankful for being OLDer and don't have to deal with today's crimes of mankind...

nor think about AI.

3. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

OAK BROOK, Ill. - Electric vehicles may be the way of the future, but many EV owners are having trouble dealing with Chicago’s bitterly cold temperatures.

Public charging stations have turned into car graveyards over the past couple of days.

Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported.

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

Beard was among the dozens of Tesla owners trying desperately to power up their cars at the Tesla supercharging station in Oak Brook. It was a scene mirrored with long lines and abandoned cars at scores of other charging stations around the Chicago area.

"This is crazy. It’s a disaster. Seriously," said Tesla owner Chalis Mizelle.

Mizelle was forced to abandon her car and get a ride from a friend when it wouldn’t charge.

Another man summed up the situation succinctly: "We got a bunch of dead robots out here."

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/dead-teslas-oak-brook

Anyone want to buy an EV?

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The biggest shocker is that they are surprised about this. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Wellllll...Now they are trying to sell smaller evs to use for local transit, 'quick trips', and gas for longer.
    ?????
    That should boost sales, Right?

Vada Bloom and Don Alaska like this.
  6. John Brunner

The obvious solution is to ration gas so as to narrow the inconvenience gap. :confused:
    You people will never make it in politics.

7. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

All the so called brains out there pushing to make fast bucks...what a bunch of deadheads.....

And that Musk. what is upstairs that SHOULD serve as Brains and SENSE??????He's banked a lot of quick dough off of the other Stupids...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Vada Bloom and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

Most of this stuff it a scam to push taxpayer dollars at those who are politically connected.

I disagree with you regarding Musk. He's a very intelligent man. My jury is still out regarding the Tesla buyers. I've seen videos of Tesla owners showing the crap construction quality of the cars...things like huge gaps in body panel seams that look like a high school repair shop did them. And yet people still buy them.

Tesla owners seem to be like the Apple freaks who line up around the block to get the latest & greatest the moment it's released...except Tesla owners have deeper pockets.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Mary Stetler and Vada Bloom like this.
  9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Seen this on the news last night
    https://7news.com.au/news/petrol-an...-trip-between-melbourne-and-sydney-c-13251316
    the cost of petrol V electric

Don’t think I’d bother getting a electric car

Copied this ….
    Petrol and EV cars put to the test on 900km road trip between Melbourne and Sydney.

The cars set off from Melbourne, fully fuelled — and charged, with scheduled stops in Tarcutta and Sutton Forest.

The journey cost $131.92 in the electric vehicle, while it cost $118 in the petrol car.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I find this a huge negative for EVs as well... (from that same article)

upload_2024-1-17_9-36-5.png

11. John Brunner

And that does not take into account the much greater cost (initial and lifetime) of the EV. But the point is not to save the planet or save us money, the goal is to make us less mobile.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

...and you don't just put an EV into a car crusher to be recycled after their basically 10-year lifespan. I think a lot of them are now being shipped to Africa to be dumped and to contaminate the ground forever there. Some do catch fire on the way, though and endanger or sink the ship they are on. That way it goes into the ocean instead of African soil.

John Brunner and Kate Ellery like this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

100% agree @Beth Gallagher I’ve always said that ..if your traveling what do you do with yourself while waiting for the car to charge ? ….We often do about the same milage a day , mentioned when we travel from SA to Queensland in winter.
    and you have to find a charging station to charge the car …..we travel through an area called the Hay plains ( NSW) when traveling to QLD it’s a long way in between petrol stations let alone finding a charging station .

IMG_5957.jpeg

14. Kate Ellery

Registered

Bit of info about Hay plains in NSW we travel each year … ( I mentioned up here ^^^) you’d be battling to find a charging station across the Hp ….no towns on the highway ( you have to turn off highways to get to towns for fuel )

Distance between Adelaide and Hay

Driving non-stop from Adelaide to Hay

How far is Hay from Adelaide? Here's the quick answer if you are able to make this entire trip by car without stopping.

Nonstop drive: 406 miles or 653 km

Driving time: 6 hours, 54 minutes

Can you imagine being stuck here looking for a charging station

Hay plains
    IMG_5958.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have the same problem @Kate Ellery. I think there is a 350 mile section with only one charging station, and it has temperatures in winter that would make those in Chicago pale by comparison even during the recent cold blast.