Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Don Alaska, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Once they can get rural people to move to the cities, most of the world will belong to the elite, who can afford it.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yup. I swear the forced exodus from California is to free up all that real estate for the elite...then the destructive leadership shall end.

Joe Riley and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

I was much younger then, of course, but when I lived in California, I didn't know anyone who owned their own house. Everyone rented, and they rented at prices that far exceeded the average mortgage in most other parts of the country.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the power companies should require a meter on ALL EV charging systems so they can change a tax that goes to the state. Socket it (pun deliberately intended) too em!

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't see that happening unless all the CA refugees that are trying to flip TX to blue are finally successful.

Recently there has been talk of discontinuing the vehicle inspection requirements which most people would love to see abolished. I'm sure they will raise the price of registration to cover that lost revenue, but at least we wouldn't have the bother of having the inspection and emissions test crap anymore. It will put a lot of little garages out of business, though...and some have invested heavily in the emissions testing equipment.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

I don't know how I feel about discontinuing inspections. Maryland never had them (they still may not), and I used to hate driving on the Beltway near cars with Maryland tags. My main issues were the integrity of their brakes, their steering and their tires. I really loathe hearing "it's a good government idea" come out of my mouth, but...

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I believe there has always been a lot of corruption in the "inspections." Years ago, the independent garages that did the work were always ripping people off for minor crap like windshield wipers or "headlamps mis-aligned." (Naturally they would conveniently re-align them for a fee. :rolleyes:) For our motorhome inspection, the local places don't know how to conduct an inspection so it's basically a light check (brakes, headlamps) and Bob's your uncle. Total waste of time.

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

From what I've seen, they get some otherwise conservative Republicans on board with the argument that people with electric vehicles aren't paying the gas tax, and therefore not paying their fair share. This would make sense if the tax were only applied to electric vehicles but, everywhere I have seen it proposed, it would be applied to everyone, and, even if it were not in the beginning, it would be applied to all vehicles later on.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My response was about the monitoring devices mentioned by Brunner.

As for the EV tax; the Texas law is specifically for electric vehicles that are not paying gasoline taxes. It is only applied to EVs.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I just read that due to their weight, EVs go through tires 30% faster than gas vehicles.

1-There's another waste product (used tires) that's generated at a quicker rate
    2-This means that EVs put more wear on the road than other cars

11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I just read online that tesla has a level two Solar powered charging station for a little over eighteen thousand dollars. A level two charge it takes between eight and twelve hours.
    What if you get multiple vehicles, they would have to be charged in sequence?
    Electric Cars Don't seem practical to me not for how much Today's society travels.

Electric Cars with a small gas engine that can charge the batteries when needed seem more practical.

Mother Earth News In the 80's Had plans for sale to make a hybrid electric car. Four of us where I worked Purchased the plans. As I recall It required a small junked car that you could gut, A starting motor from a small jet plane, To be used as the electric engine, A number of wet cell batteries, and a Briggs in stratton engine. The most difficult part of the design was the black box which tried to Simulate the feel of a gas pedal when using the electric pedal, and Give a smooth acceleration.
    The bridges And Stratton engine could get the batteries up to enough charge to drive in about an hour. They claimed you'd get 90 miles per gallon.
    I was sorry I was never able to build one, for lack of time and finances, but it did appeal to me as a interesting project.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For the goal of most efficient powered transportation and reduced emissions overall, and given our level of technology right now, hybrid cars are the only viable solution.

Joe Riley, Yvonne Smith and Tony Page like this.
  13. John Brunner

Since I don't use my real name here, I'll tell this story...

Virginia used to do inspections twice a year. That means that every 6 months you were going through that ordeal. Back then I had my '59 Austin Healey that burned a good amount of oil. The electrical stuff on that car would not work unless the engine was running. I was in for my semi-annual inspection in the middle of winter. The inspector had the garage bay door closed. He had me run through the lights/wipers/signals routine, so I had to start the engine. The garage bay immediately filled up with smoke. He angrily yanked the door open, slapped on a new sticker, and told me to never bring that piece of crap back. :cool:

14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Point of Interest (POI)

Which car was the first electric car?

In the US, the first “practical” electric car was built by William Morrison, a chemist who lived in Des Moines, Iowa. Morrison's vehicle was a traditional horse-drawn Surrey carriage—popular in 19th Century America—which was converted to fit a battery.
    The first electric car in the United States was developed in 1890–91 by William Morrison of Des Moines, Iowa; the vehicle was a six-passenger wagon capable of reaching a speed of 23 km/h (14 mph

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I was just reading an article about a report done by an company in Seattle whose mission is to accelerate EV adoption by the unwashed (and soon to be immobile) masses. It seems that they inadvertently pointed out how the power source (Lithium batteries) are not really suited for the application:

EV battery temp range.jpg
    Given the risks of excess heat in a battery, thermal management systems are essential to maintain safe operating temperatures. If the battery overheats, it can lead to safety hazards, reduced battery performance, and accelerated degradation of the battery components. Proper thermal control is key for optimal battery performance and extending battery life to recommendations or beyond. Although it does use some battery charge, aka range, to maintain the battery temperature, it’s well worth it for long lasting packs.

Where in this nation would the year-round temperature of the battery compartment in a car that's sitting on asphalt be within the range of 59°F and 86°F? But as the last line of the picture caption says, the solution to bad design is to reduce the already limited range in order to keep the power source from frying and degrading quickly.