Er And Hospital Admitted

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not to criticize Cody but just because we’re told we “can” do something doesn’t mean it is healthy or we should.
    Just because someone is a doctor doesn’t mean that they actually have your best interests at heart.

I once had a real 100% medical doctor tell me that I could shoot myself if I wanted to. That didn’t mean that I should do it but merely that I could.

By the bye……I looked all over the place and for the life of me, I can’t find anything that says “part time kidney diet”.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I'll go by what the doctor I had at the hospital feels, of which I've not got a call from concerning my GFR number from last Monday, and my VA doctor tells me. You may not trust doctors, but wife and myself sure do.

As far as the kidney diet goes, what I ate in the hospital sure wasn't "kidney diet" approved, but the outcome was great with my GFR at 58! 99% of my blood lab Report was great, so I won't change a thing and keep on eating and walking around the apartment and driving.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

LOL…..never mind Cody. You’re gonna do whatever you’re gonna do with or without a doctor’s approval.

Eat, drink annd be merry because after all, to quote Redd Fox, you’d feel like a derned fool dying from nothin’………….

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is recommended by gerontologists that people over 60 or 65 not take NSAIDs at all. That includes everything from aspirin to the prescription types, although some allow aspirin and sometimes Meloxicam. This is (I think) due to kidney and cardiac complications. Most people with severe arthritis would rather die than stop their NSAID, so there is that as well.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Wonder why doctor’s do not recommend Bromelain to seniors.
    I told my chiropractor about the stuff about 8 years ago and I guess he tried it because he told me the other day that he’s still recommending it to his patients.
    Yvonne nearly always heads for the pineapple with the core (contains bromelain) first instead of taking Aleve or any other anti-inflammatories.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby, I’m not ignoring what my VA doctor said to me the last time I seen him. He told me, in the exam room, with my wife right there, “you can eat whatever you want”. He also said, “don’t worry, you’re not headed for dialysis at all”.
    Heck, we’ve even got some pineapple slices in the fridge and packages of rice in the pantry along with “kidney friendly” fruit in the fridge. And, I’m drinking as much water as I can during the day. IOW, I’m doing what I can to protect the kidneys and maintain a good sodium level.
    Out of curiosity, does everyone always take your advice?

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I did not know that! Yet, doctors will tell you to take them if you complain about any kind of pain.:confused:

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So that would mean nothing but Tylenol (acetaminophen)? Since acetaminophen is metabolized by the liver, I read that you should not take it if you have liver issues or if you abuse alcohol.

The handful of articles I just read all confirm that kidney and cardiac complications are the main concern with NSAIDs, with gastrointestinal issues also playing a role. Most of the concerns are obviously with older patients who have preexisting kidney/heart/gastric issues, who take more than the minimal amount recommended for longer than absolutely needed, and/or interaction with other drugs. This article in the NIH library also mentioned central nervous system risks.

I guess I'll shove my aspirin, naproxen and ibuprofen to the back of my medicine cabinet. I've not given my taking any of these a second thought if I've strained my back and needed to pop one before going to bed (although that's a once-or-twice-a-year event.) It's funny, but it now occurs to me that over the past few years doctors have been recommending Tylenol if I need pain relief (like after the SPC surgery.) I never thought to ask why NSAIDs were specifically excluded.

Don Alaska and Krystal Shay like this.
  9. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’ve been on daily baby aspirin for I guess at least the last 15 years probably, both my family doc and cardiologist recommend it, for me (75 now).

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  10. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The whole pineapple has Bromelain, but the core has more of it.
    I've also heard it's good for the eyes; it may help dissolve floaters. I eat some every morning.
    It's high in vitamin C & has anti-inflammatory properties & is good for the kidneys.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Advice is offered. Whether it's taken or not is up to the taker. I've known enough doctors well enough to know that many of them paint by the numbers when it comes to their medical practice, and those who are sufficiently skilled so as to be able to solve problems are often too busy to solve your particular problem, especially when its peripheral to their specialty, such as diet information, unless they have a reason to care about you as a human being rather than simply as one of many patients.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes. We had a big dose of this in the last couple of weeks, when the gastroenterologist diagnosed my husband with IBS while his appendix was bursting. The man is a total incompetent and it infuriates me.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The doctor who diagnosed my first cancer, which, you can probably imagine, was quite traumatic for me, was going through my chart during a regular visit about a year later. He looked up from his computer and asked, "You've had cancer?" Keep in mind that I live in a small town, where I would see this guy in the grocery store and in other places often. Needless to say, I wasn't going to depend on him to keep up with my overall health needs. Doctors are like plumbers. They might be able to fix a leak but they're probably not going to fix other potential problems while they're at it, and they are not going to be around to detect the next leak,

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I don't have to imagine. :D

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s what I mean. You rarely hear a doctor talking about alternative medicines because they don’t make any money doing that.
    The bad thing about using Bromelain is you can’t eat any proteins prior to using it for an anti-inflammatory. The bromelain uses itself up breaking down proteins.

By the bye…..bromelain and papain are fantastic meat tenderizers too.