Ever Had A Drone Or Knew Someone Who Did?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd like to have one, but I'd probably wreck it trying to figure out how to use it.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess the rules, from the FAA, have been revised. To use a personal/recreational drove, a person doesn't need a license/testing. Apparently the drove that is bought, has to be registered with the FAA, but that's it. We are back looking at them again, but only ones that are being sold for under $150. I'm seeing sales going on right now for $99 for one drone. One drone I looked at is very, very good, with excellent reviews. It has a Return function, so with a flip of a switch, it will return to the exact location it was launched from.
    Not totally sure where I'd use it and that, in itself, is the problem.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Please, requesting some feedback on anyone that has, or had, a Personal Recreational Drone. How easy was it to use? Where did you use it at?

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I have already posted that I got hubby one for Christmas. My handiman said it was easy to use but we haven't yet. We live in a woods and don't want to lose it and hubby does not go to the farm. It is just a cheap one I got on temu but hubby is hubby.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We are still thinking, and note the word "thinking", about getting one, but not totally sure yet. If we do get one, the app for it would have to be compatible with my iPhone 12, not a newer one. An iPhone is connected to the handheld remote. My wife told me I could get the $99 one, that is on discount, but I just don't know.

Funny, but at the rodeo in Reno, someone had a drone flying over the arena. During the first performance, it was flying above the Barrel Racing, but I think people complained who were watching the rodeo on The Cowboy Channel. After that performance, the drone was gone during that event. But, last night, we seen one flying over the arena.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I would worry about that only because if one person wants to film that way and sees it done, others will too. It could get crowded and annoying. It could be distracting.
    I would be using it for security on my property if anything.

7. Johnny Forster

Registered

What are the practical everyday uses for an affordable drone that takes photos and video?

I need a good reason to buy any tech with my hard earned money.

Thanks in advance. Johnny

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, take photos/video of things that you can't with a in-hand digital camera. Like overhead views of things. But, when thinking about buying one, it has to have a Return Switch, so it will return to the exact location it was launched from.
    We love taking pictures and video from where we stand, but a descent drone will take pictures/video from overhead..........of which, could be very interesting to see.

Johnny Forster and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm on over 50 acres surrounded by woods & farms. I'd like to have one to patrol things. But as you said, "hard earned money." I my be a fool, but I'm also cheap.

Johnny Forster likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, a drone isn't a security camera. We have two Blink Security Cameras. One for inside our apartment, pointed at the front door and currently hooked up. The other, an outside camera that can be hooked up and pointed at the walkway/front door, but don't need it here. Both are run from my Blink App.

A really descent drone can cost as little as $99. That's what we've been looking at.

Johnny Forster and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I want to fly over my property and view things from the air, not set up stationary surveillance. I'd especially like to do this during hunting season.

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

This has been in the news for 4 years …… These seniors ….were having an affair and were apparently murdered and burned to ashes over a …..DRONE …..

The person who has yet to sentenced for Carols ( the man’s lover ) …has been found guilty of HER …murder but not Russel’s (Trial has just finished )

They used to go camping together in the hills , with Russel’s wife under the belief Carol was her husband’s cousin .

The convicted murderer (was ) a Well respected Jeststar pilot

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06...ial-verdict-russell-hill-carol-clay/103956598

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, for now, we've decided against getting one. For us, just no where to fly it and really afraid of losing it.