Ever Know Someone That Went To A Very Prestigious College Or University?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

In other words Al, if a member disagrees with you, like sometimes I do, you simply think they like to argue? Nope, from both Hoot and I. We are just stating facts about employment and a college degree. Wish I would've had one so I wouldn't have spent years making between $5 per hour (1982) and $10 per hour (1992).

My wife found out, very quickly, that working in Accounting without a Degree, wasn't going to cut it in life. She went back to college, and at age 50, graduated with a Bachelors in Business/Accounting. Her salary went up way more with the Degree.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  2. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

lol - oh the irony.

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Get off it @Cody Fousnaugh you make all kinds of assumptions just like @Hoot Crawford. I'm not saying that I disagree with him but just like you he seems to be offended by any general remark.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, back in 2007, when I was working as a Materials Coordinator and had my own office/computer/phone, I quit a job where I was making $14.50 per hour. And, believe it or not, at 55 years old, that was the highest paying job that I'd ever had.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Al, if this post by you isn't "disagreeing" with Hoot, just what is it? Then again, we all have our opinions about everything discussed on this forum, and that's fine.

6. Al Amoling

Registered

Maybe you should get a dictionary and look uop word meanings.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Will do!:D

8. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

So, since you can't dispute what I have said, you resort to personal insults. I don't think I'm the one who is offended.....

9. Al Amoling

Registered

Whatever

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I saw that kind of stuff from my earliest days in the workforce.

Back in the early 70s, I worked at a drug store and there was a guy who had set up a chaise lounge with a stack of magazines and warm sodas waaayyyy up on the highest (and filthiest) shelf in the stockroom. He would clock in and then climb up to his 95°F Den of Disgust where he would spend most of his shift.

Another guy (mid 20s) came in on a Saturday for the 1PM-10PM shift and asked the manager if he could bring a pitcher of Margaritas in with him because he just came from a pool party and did not want to sober up on the job!! He did not get fired, but he got sent home.

Fast forward to the mid 80s where I was managing a purchasing department and brought in a temp. A middle-aged woman shows up, sits down, immediately opens her purse and breaks out her ashtray & cigarettes and fires one up. I asked her to do some typing and she said "That's not my job." I asked her to do some filing and she said "That's not my job." I kicked her out and fired the temp agency.

So I gotta watch myself when I talk about "today's work ethic." I've experienced that stuff first-hand going back 50 years. The worse I see these days are people in retail who text while they are working. It's one thing to be working the floor and doing it, but it's quite another to be a cashier who texts while the customer is standing there waiting for their order to get rung up. I don't get it. I would never have ever thought of doing that on the job. And I would fire someone for doing that. But it's not all of them.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ever Know Someone That Went To A Very Prestigious College Or University?

That is the question posed here so I will answer it. Yes, both my folks and several other relatives. Harvard, Yale, and the University of Texas. So now let's argue over if the U of Texas is prestigious or not.

The statement was made, howbeit off-topic, that all a college degree means is you know how to pass tests. That is correct according to my father, mother, and other relatives, some that were genius level and doctorates. They were intelligent long before they even went to high school. They went to college to gain access to information and get a degree that was required to accomplish their life's goals. They all said that they learned more out of college than in any college classroom and yes the degree is awarded on passing tests and writing a thesis. It is NOT based on intelligence!

It never ends does it? Here we have a topic posted so the poster could once again brag on his wife's 3 college degrees. That is wonderful but it also raises a question at least for me. Why doesn't this tripled college degreed intelligent person correct her husband's tragic and repeated misuse of BASIC English? "I seen what happened." "That is what I done."

College degrees even from "prestigious" universities don't impress me. IQ test results don't impress me. What impresses me is individuals' accomplishments.

No one noticed that I have been gone for 7 days due to a self-banishment for being too easily annoyed. After reading this entire thread, I felt compelled to speak out, however, on review, it has an element of confrontation due to my level of annoyance still at a level unacceptable to one such as myself, so I am banning myself again for 20 more days.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Faye, she does try, but I will tell her, "you write and speak the words you want to and I will do the same". Sometimes she will use "college" like words when speaking and I will have to tell her "use layman words". She understands and will repeat in language I can then understand.

My last Supervisor, who was also designated as the "Director" of the Department, would help me out with my Excel spreadsheets for Inventory. But, at the same time, he would also change the size/font of all of cells, because he like small cells/print. I couldn't read the small stuff, so, when he went back into his office, I changed the spreadsheets back to the cells/fonts that I could read.

Sometimes my wife will write something down in small handwriting, almost looks like a doctors scribbling, and I will have to have her write it over to tell what the "H" she wrote.

Faye, if I was to "ban myself", well 20 days wouldn't be nearly enough, but then again, I love to discuss things, so "banning myself" would be totally out of the question. LOL

Also, do you think that you get annoyed to easily? Just wondering.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

There too, it's the diploma and the degree that are being disparaged, not education.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If you look at what's going on around the country today, you can see that that's the plan. There is little attempt to persuade, as the idea is to beat people into submission or, when they have the power, put them out of work or jail them if they disagree.

More on topic, though, a lot of smart people attend colleges or universities, and that probably includes those that the elite (or who want to be identified with the elite) would consider prestigious. Those who can afford it, or whose parents can afford it, may receive multiple degrees. But there are probably a greater number of smart people who don't have these degrees. Getting a degree has more to do with being born into the right family than with natural intelligence.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I read that Al Gore went to a school in Tennessee and flunked out; his father, being the great segregationist senator that he was, got his little boy into Yale from which he graduated. This just reinforces your point, @Ken Anderson that many of the graduates from "elite" schools can't hack it in schools from which they CAN fail out. As an aside, all my children have college degrees from a variety of schools except my youngest, who attended a diesel mechanic and welding program that lasted 18 months and was almost free due to state tuition grants. Of all the kids, the highest earner is the diesel mechanic.