Expensive Where You Live?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My old truck is a '94, but I got new tires on it 10 years ago or so and I drive it at least once a week to go to church and I haul stuff to the dump in it. It always starts and I have a son who is a pro mechanic, so he has done a few jobs on it for me. He just replaced the front u-joints (4-wheel drive) so I am ready for winter now.

If the truck was running you shouldn't need the charger unless is a float charger for winter.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm glad they had you replace those tires. They ain't safe after all that time. The ones on my truck are probably 10 years old, but they still pass inspection. I'm keeping my eye out for a deal, since they need replaced due to age.

Since we're telling truck repair stories...the dealer has had my truck for a month because the security system thinks it's been stolen, so it cuts off the gas. The dealer had to order parts off of Ebay!!! There were odds & ends they fixed, and the service guy told me that the turn signals no longer make any noise (we all know how the blinkers click in unison with the flash of the lights.) I had picked up a replacement flasher unit but could not figure out where it was to replace it, so I told him to install the flasher I bought. Well, unlike any normal damned vehicle, the flasher unit is not what makes the clicking noise...it's a daggone module under the dash somewhere. They want $125 to reprogram it. I told him that for $125, I'll make my own clicking noise when I turn.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My hubby came with me to drive me home after I dropped the truck off but he came into the shop and got all manly and wanted the 4 wheel drive fixed. The shifter's been frozen for years. I said to the guy we don't need the 4x4 fixed as I only use it to pick up small loads of hay in the warm weather. But it would be easier to sell if it were fixed. Sell? When I wanted to sell it you fought with me! And it's a hundred years old! If a buyer wants it he can fix the 4x4 himself. I figure to plant geraniums in it when it's time comes.
    The guy at the counter seemed to have come across couples like us before and never said a word. Better for him.:cool:

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have to have 4-wheel in the winter here, as sometimes the road would be impassable without it. Most here have studded tires in the winter, but with 4-wheel drive, I don't generally need it for my jaunts around the area. I have had a 4-wheel drive pick-up for almost all of my time in this area. When we had livestock, we used it to get in and out of the hay fields.

Even car repairs cost more here, mostly for shipping. I looked up a part for my wife's car on NAPA online. If I got the part in Washington, it was $130, but if I bought it here, it was $160 for the exact same part from the same car parts chain. I could order it from Toyota for $130+$18 dollars shipping. I bought one from Amazon, but it failed within a couple weeks, just as @Jake Smith experienced.

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Registered

Security system? I could send you some mice to put into your muffler. No one would steal a truck that smelled like mind did.:rolleyes:

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

Yes hubby was saying 4 wheel drive is important. I think tires will do it for me. I can't remember when I took the truck out since Trump. Have had a guy delivering big bales. (thank goodness)
    That slide hubby did was in 4 wheel drive on old tires on ice. I tell him 4 wheels slide twice as good as two.:rolleyes: Our roads are maintained by the county. and in winter I steal his Volvo. Hubby sleeps late.:D

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I once helped someone get his Jaguar back on the road after it sat on blocks for years. We got it started but could not keep it running. We finally dropped the exhaust pipe at the header and it ran fine. Apparently mice had built a subdivision in the muffler/exhaust pipes, and had the same effect as stuffing a potato on the tailpipe.

And I just got the call that my truck is finally ready. I bet your mice smell better than that invoice.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Here, it is more expensive than it was before Google and Amazon started their massive data centers along the river. That caused housing to triple in cost and raised taxes about double. Now with grocery cost up 20% to 100%, and fuel cost more than double, yes, it is expensive to live here. Less than some places, but higher than some also.

The only thing that hasn't gone up much is electricity, thanks to living near the hydro electric dams. For us retired folks that worked most of our working years here, it would be foolish to leave since we paid high income taxes for years that was a trade off for no sales tax. If I left the state, I still have to pay state taxes on my retirement since it was all earned in this state. I would have to pick a state with no sales tax or shell, out more hard earned money to that state.

For example if I go shopping in Washington and find an item with the same price, I pay about 6.5% to 9% more because of state and city sales tax. Washington folks can go shopping here for groceries, clothes, and things like that and save money depending on amount of purchase VS travel expenses. We used to just show our Oregon ID in Washington and not get charged tax. Now we have to save receipts and file a special form with our yearly taxes if we want those sales taxes back. It isn't worth the hassle for most folks.

So, yes, it is expensive to live here compared to what it was just 4 years ago. Moving any distance cost, would negate any saving that moving to a lesser expensive area might offer. I have no idea where I would move that wouldn't be more expensive.