Family Film Night

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Tony Page, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The show The millionaire from a prior thread brings to mind when I was in my early teens I had saved some money and I couldn't wait for my father to ask " want to go to Cortlandt Street" which was in Manhattan. I just knew I'd find something to spend my money on, And I think he loved it there as much as I did. It's Nickname was "radio row", in that area of New York City it had electronic parts stores, audio showrooms, military surplus stores, camera stores, auctions, Plus Trefflich the country's largest Pet Shop.
    I don't remember what camera store it was that we were shopping in could have been Camera Barn or Peerless, when I spotted a 16 mm Optical sound military projector with a 12in external speaker. It was $60 and I had $27.In talking to the salesman for a while I think he knew how bad I wanted this projector, he brought the price down to $40 he even threw in a 400-foot film. My father loan me the $13 an advance on my allowance. I now owned an Optical sound projector.
    When I got home I hooked it up and ran the 400ft film, except for being a little noisy it worked perfectly. The projector could handle a real up to 2,000 ft. I found a camera store near us where you could rent Optical sound film. I started a Saturday night movie night with relatives and Friends and would rent or purchase film to show. My mom would put out a banquet of food, and of course there was popcorn. If my movie selection got praises it made my day.It was a fun time.
    Camera Barn had bins filled with cans of optical sound film, for two or three dollars. No names on the cans so you had to take the reel out and try to make out the the first few frames to see what the film was about.
    Over the years I collected a few films including the Millionaire, The Honeymooners, Sky King, Adam and Evelyn, Border Patrol, Perry Como Christmas show where he sings about the first Christmas, Edwards R.Murrow end of the year news highlight with all the top newscasters, it's interesting but even back then the top news story was the issues of the Middle East.
    Now my projector and films are all stored away collecting dust, but it did get a lot of use and gave a lot of enjoyment.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

What a great memory, Tony. Thanks for sharing.

Tony Page likes this.