Favorite Authors?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Von Jones , I have also read both of those books, although it was some years back, and they are definitely fascinating and well-written books. It seems to me like I also read a third book by Mr. Perretti; but right now, I can't remember what the name of that one was.
    Along that same line , I really liked reading "Angels on Assignment" by Pastor Roland Buck, who was also an Assembly of God pastor. His brother was the pastor of the First Assembly in Spokane, where we used to go to church when I lived in Spokane. His daughter also wrote a book about her father, called "The Man Who Talked With Angels". If you have not read these already, Von, I think you would enjoy them also.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of my favorites that I can think of at the moment:

Richard S. Prather
    Mary Roberts Rinehart
    Agatha Christie
    Edgar Allen Poe
    Frank G. Slaughter
    Len Deighton
    Charles Dickens
    Sax Rohmer
    Zane Gray

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Sheldon, I also really like Zane Gray, and I read most of his books, although it was many years ago.
    When I was first married, my mother-in-law had a whole set of Zane Gray books, and since we were living there at the time, I read a lot of books, and the ones I enjoyed the most were the Zane Gray and Daphne du Maurier books.
    (My mother-in-law was very British, and I doubt that she ever even read the Zane Gray books; so I am not sure why she bought them.)
    When my mother was a little girl, my grandfather was an Indian agent for a while, and they lived on a reservation in Arizona. Mom always talked about a writer who traveled through the area, gathering information for his stories. She said that at the time, she had no idea who it was; but in later years, she wondered if it might have been Zane Gray. I guess we will never have an answer to that question; but it makes a good family story.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

I just bought a new Thomas Perry novel, and it is not a disappointment! I started out with the Jane Whitefield novels several years ago, and as new books have come out, I started reading some of the other novels he wrote that were just as interesting, although they didn’t include Jane Whitefield in them.
    The book that I am reading now is (I think) his very first book, and it is called “The Butcher's Boy”, about a professional assassin and the DOJ agent who is trying to track him down.
    If you like mystery adventures and haven’t tried any of the Thomas Perry books, I definitely recommend checking out his book on Amazon.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Favorite author of all time for me was Graham Greene. I found his character development astonishing. Of living authors, I like John Sandford for fiction. Michael Crichton and Alex Asimov for past authors were my favorites in past times. Sometimes I read to pass time, and sometimes I read to learn. I have different sets of requirements for each.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Graham Greene and Michael Chrichton were excellent authors. The amount of research that Michael Crichton put into each of his books was almost scary, particularly given the diversity of topics he wrote about.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Jo Jujo

Jo Jujo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If like me,you are an avid reader, I would like to share some book titles with you all, I totally understand,everyone has different taste,what suits one person,may not suit another person.Please don’t worry if you are not interested.

Water from heaven by Anne Schreiber Thomas
    Long way from home by Jeanne Whitmee
    Four is an odd number by Sandy Griffiths
    Wrong child by Patricia Kay
    The Morrow family of Newgate street,1939,1940,1941,1942,1943,1944,1945,1966 by Mollie Cutpurse.
    The girls from Mulberry Lane
    A wedding at Mulberry Lane
    Mulberry Lane babies
    All by Rosie Clarke
    Factory girls of Lark Lane by Pam Howes
    Lizzie’s secret
    Lizzie’s war
    Lizzie’s daughters
    All by Rosie Clarke

Hope you enjoy reading.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

JOHN STEINBECK

Over and above all others!

Hal

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I am not familiar with any of those authors.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have seen some Mulberry Lane books but I'm not sure she has in mind the books I saw. These were light hearted romance books. I can't remember the author's name but she wrote a long series of the Mulberry Lane books.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Me neither... but then I don't read fiction