Files Versus Photos

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Barb Eree, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, I have been playing with my Fire tablet and discovered why I don't utilize it for much. What a PITA, but I digress.

I wasn't able to resize a photo using the basic Photos app, but there is a free photo editor available from the Amazon app store. It has basic editing and the "save as" function, so a photo taken by the Fire device can be converted to JPG (and other formats) with a few extra steps after downloading the free editor.

I have my email client loaded on the Fire, so I tested attaching a HEIC file to an email and it did not auto-convert to JPG like my Apple devices do. (That is the default setting on Apple; it can be changed.) At any rate, I don't see a way to do that on the Fire. If I attach a HEIC file, I get a HEIC file.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Did you try that app from Amazon. Ken linked to one and I linked to another, and both had horrible reviews.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That was my opinion also, and the main reason that I only used the Kindle Fire for reading books. Even then, it was much easier to find new books and return the ones I had already read, using my iPad Mini; and that is why I decided that the Kindle was not worth having, even with its handy lightweight small size.
    There are several kindle tutorials that help to understand how the Kindle works, and some of them are free at the kindle store. This is the one that I have and it is a free one but covered everything about using a kindle really well.

D995BF54-F89D-4EDD-8EC3-4B24F951125B.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Ken's link was to a HEIC to JPG converter; I'm talking about an app called Photo Editor that is available for free on the Amazon App Store. https://www.amazon.com/Macgyver-Photo-Editor/dp/B006YC74E8

Not sure which one you linked; a lot of your posts are about Windows, etc. I don't know whether Barb has access to a Windows machine or any Apple device, so I was trying to provide a solution solely for her Fire tablet.:p

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I linked to a Kindle file converter app on the Amazon Kindle store. But as I said, the written reviews said "Don't bother with it."

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

From your Kindle 10, you can email a photo to yourself, or someone else, or you can download a free mobile app to send it to your iPhone and, since it says "mobile app" rather than iPhone, I'll assume that it's available for Android phones as well. To email it, choose the photo you want to send, then click the icon in the upper right that looks like a < with dots at each of the points. You'll see some other options there, as well, including a download option, but I haven't explored them. To access the mobile app, select the photo you want to send, then click where it says "photos" with a circular arrow beneath it, and you'll be prompted for the mobile app. As far as doing it directly from the Kindle, I haven't found a way to do that yet.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just opened my email on the Kindle, clicked on create a new email, clicked on the little paperclip to attach a file, and selected the photo. Bam.

ETA--this still doesn't convert that photo from HEIC to JPG; it simply emails the photo.

8. Ken Anderson

Yes, it wouldn't help someone if their only device were a Kindle. Otherwise, if they can move it to a computer or another tablet device with photo editing capabilities, it can be exported to a JPG or PNG. Kindle photos have an editing mode but I don't think they save to JPG.

9. John Brunner

I took a look on the Xenforo Community forum, and discussions over there seem to indicate that there's confusion over HEIC vs HEIF. Folks seem to think that HEIC files are Apple-proprietary, so there are no plans to build HEIC/HEIF capabilities into the forum software. I see conversations going back as far as 2017 on this topic, with the most recent being a few months ago.

As I said, my iPhone converts to jpeg on the fly when I dump photos to my WIN10 machine, although there is an iPhone option to change the default file format to jpg (it's in Camera settings.) There is a model-specific place to change Kindle camera settings...but I don't know if those settings include file type.

For the more tech savvy, there are ways to convert the Amazon Fire Kindle to a stock Android device (link.) Among other things, that will allow you to download apps from the Google Play store, so you might be able to download a photo viewer that allows you to Save As jpg. If this HEIC file issue is a routine hindrance, this might be a viable option.

10. Ken Anderson

I wouldn't think Amazon would use an Apple-proprietary format for its Kindles, but it's possible. I know that the iPhone saves to HEIC. This is the first time that it has come up as a problem, as far as I am aware. I rarely use my Kindles for photos, and I'd just move them to one of my computers where I could change them into JPEGs or PNGs.

11. John Brunner

That's where the confusion comes in.
    -HEIC is an mpeg (Motion Pictures Excellence Group) standard.
    -HEIF is Apple's version of HEIC. I don't know if it's just a name/licensing thing or if it's more than that.

I read some comments in the Xenforo community that HEIF was an issue for folks trying to drop in photos directly from an iPhone, but I have no idea what process/settings they are using.

12. Ken Anderson

I had linked to the Amazon app too.

Attached Files:

13. John Brunner

I was going to do a test Upload from my iPhone to see how it would behave in case others posted similar questions, but all the photos are significantly larger than the 4.9MB limit. Some were 15MB!!! And the camera file setting is on "High Efficiency." go figger

14. Ken Anderson

HEIC stands for High Efficiency Image File, Apple’s new image container format that compresses photos in order to save space. HEIC image files are available on iPhone 7 and later models running iOS 11 or later operating systems. Under most circumstances, you won’t even notice the file format of your photos, but occasionally, you may run into technical difficulties when transferring photo files from your iPhone to your computer or cloud storage.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, that's what I said. But my link is to a Photo Editor that can be used to edit photos and use the "save as" option to change the format to JPG. What is that image.png supposed to be? It appears to be a black screen...??

I think I'm going to drop out of this conversation. I don't even know if any of this has anything to do with what Barb wants to do. :D