Films That Made An Impact On Me

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tom Galty, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

On Golden Pond was a good one. I liked it very much.

Shirley Martin and Terry Page like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Edward G. Robinson was a favorite of mine. A real good gangster.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Am I the only one whose never seen On Golden Pond?...I kept meaning to, but it just got away from me.. dya think I should watch it?

@Bill Boggs did you see @Terry Page 's question to you above... :)

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never seen it Holly

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive not seen it either.

6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess it's one of the films I assume everyone has seen, but obviously not @Holly Saunders and @Patsy Faye ;) It's amazing to think that it will be 40 years old before too long :eek: I watched it several times during the 80s but haven't since. I imagine it will have aged pretty well as at the time it was quite ground breaking with superb acting and a true portrayal of family relationships and their emotions as they were then. I do recall that the father daughter relationship in the film was similar to the real life one between Henry and Jane............. so if you like relationship movies with a touch of nostalgia it's worth a watch Holly........... Katherine Hepburn is superb in it as well.....

7. Terry Page

Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Thanks Terry, may give it a whirl when I'm feeling less lethargic
    Not saying the movie will be lethargic but it won't be uplifting either :p

9. Terry Page

Registered

I have read some articles about it on the internet @Bill Boggs and find it's relatively common, maybe due to hormonal changes or because you are more relaxed about exploring or showing your emotions....... I do actually enjoy having a richer emotional life ..........

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

I actually found it uplifting @Patsy Faye, it somehow affirmed how important real love in families is, sadly times have changed quite a bit since this film was made and a remake would end differently I am sure...

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

I'm surprised so many haven't seen the film, I just presumed most people had seen it...at least women. I've read enough about it to wonder if i could believe in the story line given that in an interview Jane Fonda said she had a horrible relationship with her father during filming ..I think I will get a copy and watch it anyway... thanks @Terry Page for the review , I think you know me well enough to know if I'd enjoy it, so I'll definitely put that on my list..

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Holly Saunders - she had a rotten relationship with him throughout her life, 'he' is the main reason I didn't watch
    the film - such a dour man.
    @Terry Page - yes I guess the ending would be uplifting and I think they both reconciled after that film

13. Terry Page

Registered

Yes @Patsy Faye he was a difficult man in real life, very cold and distant evidently, but an excellent actor in my opinion....... I do recall reading at the time that it was cathartic for them both making the film,. and helped heal the father/daughter relationship, but Jane's childhood was a difficult one for all sorts of reasons, not least her mother committing suicide when she was 12. :(

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes I knew that they'd had a horrible relationship in real life, and I thought that by doing the film together they'd healed that , but she said in the interview it hadn't, which is what stopped me watching it because I felt I wouldn't be able to believe in the story, but I'm going to watch it now despite that I think..

Terry Page and Patsy Faye like this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

Ordinary People was another film from the same period that impressed me, in fact my whole family love this one, both my daughters often mention it as one of their favourite movies. It's another dysfunctional family but a lot more drama in this one, worth a watch if you haven't seen it, the direction by Robert Redford and the acting by Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore and Timothy Hutton are all excellent..

"........Families can go along for years without ever facing the underlying problems in their relationships. But sometimes a tragedy can bring everything out in the open, all of sudden and painfully, just when everyone's most vulnerable. Robert Redford's “Ordinary People” begins at a time like that for a family that loses its older son in a boating accident. That leaves three still living at home in a perfectly manicured suburban existence, and the movie is about how they finally have to deal with the ways they really feel about one another...........“Ordinary People” is an intelligent, perceptive, and deeply moving film.............." More Here