Firefox

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My venture into using Edge may be short-lived; it really annoys me that it has so many "idiot lights" and prompts. When I'm typing, it tries to anticipate what I'm going to say and type ahead of me... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. When I'm on SoC and want to post a youtube video, if I copy the url and paste it directly into a post (as I have ALWAYS done with Firefox), it shows up like this...

Cheers Intro - YouTube

I have to use the little film icon (Media) in the post header if I want it to display the video in my post.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's the way I always do it, anyhow.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I had to restart Firefox yesterday because of some video posted on NextDoor. I really slowed down my system to the point it took 30 seconds for the browser to respond in between mouse clicks. I opened Task Manage and there were 26 instances of Firefox active. I'm used to seeing one instance per tab, but I only had 10 or so tabs opened.

I looked this morning when I first fired things up and there was one instance of Firefox per tab. So far I've picked up an extra 3 instances, possibly from searches in new tabs where the instance did not clear after I closed the tab.

I've not noticed this before, and I've never really had an issues with Firefox regarding performance. I stick with it because I don't trust any of the others. For example, there are 7 instances of Edge loaded, yet I never use it.

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been using FF for quite a while now. After some updates not long ago, it got to act squirrely but that's been straightened out. I like to be able to cut/copy/paste with the mouse and not resort to the keyboard like with Edge. It's not loaded with useless features either like Edge.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Apparently the multiple instances of FF in Task Mgr are how the browser operates now, with separate "processes" for things like add-ons. Currently I have 2 tabs open; GMail and SoC; Task Manager is showing 13 instances of FF. I opened another tab for the BC forum and my CPU usage went to 60.6%.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Interesting to note that I fired up my "new" laptop (Win 11) and got the same laggy response from Firefox when compared to other browsers.

7. John Brunner

My CPU Usage is under 10%, but my Memory Usage is at 80%...and I have 8gb of RAM installed (1gb consumed by FF.) I don't notice a speed issue, but I'm not on fast internet.

8. John Brunner

I read this on Quora, but have no idea when it was posted:

Firefox and Chrome use two different ways of managing main memory(RAM). Chrome treats each tab you open up as a new browser instance and allocates separate memory block. This is why chrome sucks RAM and battery power. Chrome is awesome as long as you have a lot of RAM which many systems today have.

However if you use computers with less memory Chrome will keep crashing as it runs out of memory. Firefox uses the traditional method of memory management. It allocates a big chunk of memory to the application. As you open more tabs a small part from this allocation gets allocated to your new tab. So as you open more tabs Firefox slows down.

This is a tech savvy lay man’s explanation based on a tech blog I read a long time back.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't ever have a bunch of tabs open; usually 2 or maybe 3 if I'm googling something. So I don't believe my issue is with a bunch of open tabs.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hubby got all frustrated with his desktop. It was slow and glitchy. He took it to a friend who said he could not find anything wrong with it so now he thinks it is the monitor. In the meantime, he bought a new one from bestbuy.com. He says he has had it with refurbished stuff. Anyway BB sent an email thanking us for the order. They were including a free gift! A security suite with download instructions. But the fine print, which was not on the item description before ordering, said that if we returned the item, we would be charged for the security and there was no way to return THAT. Best Buy brick and mortars went under for that kind of deceit. Guess they will never learn. (and neither will hubby;))

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

THAT is stupid. If you return the computer, why would that trigger an invoice for the free stuff that is installed on it and that you will [obviously] never use? smfh

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I guess I spoke too soon. Firefox just keeps getting suckier and slower to load, which I just can't deal with. I figured out how to disable a bunch of bloat on Edge ("Text prediction and Microsoft Editor Tools"... sheesh). So I'm liking Edge OK; it's blazing fast compared to Firefox and has several functions that I like.

I might delete everything Firefox related off my machine and start with a fresh load, but I'm not in the mood to do that right away. It just annoys me that their stupid "upgrades" cause nothing but annoyance for their end users.

13. John Brunner

I rarely have any of these speed issues, and I always have 14-18 tabs open. I did have a period where my bank's website just plain would not load properly, but that might have been a FF compatibility issue on their end.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

What version of FF are you running? When 113.0.1 "automatically updated" last week my troubles began. Before that I had no issues so they did something to eff it up. :mad:

15. John Brunner

The only issue I had yesterday was the thing would take maybe 30 seconds to respond to a mouse click. I killed all instances in Task Manager and fired it back up with no problem. The issue seemed to start when I opened up Next Door to watch a Ring video of a bear at a bird feeder.

It's been fine all day. I have 19 tabs open.

Last edited: May 21, 2023