First Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:We live in Hawaii and the only place that snows is the Big Island or Maui up high in the mountains. I live on Oahu where they bring in snow at the mall so the children can enjoy snow. "Family Friendly Christmas Holiday Events & Activities" by OAHUMOM has mentioned it in her blog about snow events at Malls around town in 2014. 2015 schedules for snow events not up on net yet.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

None of our snows have lasted long and now, on Christmas Eve, it has been raining constantly for far over twenty-four hours. I don't know what the temperature is but it's not very cold. In fact, when I went to the store for some last minute stuff that my wife needed, I wore short pants and a tee-shirt. I will say that I was the only one in the store wearing short pants and a tee-shirt but it wasn't particularly uncomfortable.

Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Ken Anderson

Well, I live in the middle of Maine. The AC isn't running but we could survive without the heater right now.

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Registered

Ahhh, but not for long. :) Soon the snow will fly.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I do live in the south and have to put up with the cold 68 degrees and the hot days 85 degrees.
    Just maybe I don't have it too bad.

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Finally, we're about to get some non boring weather. The prediction calls for 1/4 to 1/2 inch of freezing rain, to start sometime later today. That should tear down some tree limbs and power lines.

8. Ken Anderson

I think maybe we'll have snow here for a while now. It snowed a fair bit last night, all day today, and is supposed to snow again tomorrow. Plus, I don't see any warm weather ahead of us in the near future. Strange though, since it was in the 60s yesterday.

9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Now they scaled it back to sometime tomorrow. OK, I'll believe it when I see it.

10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, our mail man was wearing shorts Christmas eve day here in CT.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Registered

I did have to turn on the AC Christmas day. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm ready for some snow.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in the south too, and it's been ridiculously warm here all "winter!" I read somewhere that we would get hit sometime between Jan.9th. and Jan.14. Has anyone else heard this? I'm tired of running my AC too Shirley. LOL

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It is 34 degrees here, and so far we have had no snow. I haven't missed it and am content without it. We have a bird feeder near the tall grasses, and I was out raking the tall grass that the birds have scattered about. It seemed odd, to be doing so on December 30, with 60 degree temps. No snow is in the forecast, so far, but the shovels, salt and scrapers are in place and at the ready. .....I, on the other hand, am not ready!;)
    [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We are in northern Alabama, and it was in the 70's over the holidays; but now it is pretty cold again here. Today it is 31 with a wind chill of 22; so the heat is definitely on ! It is about 65 in the house, and I am bundled up to keep warm.
    When it was warm, we enjoyed being able to open the windows and let the fresh air circulate, and also put some of the plants outside for the extra sun and warmth. Each fall, we dig up the sensitive plants and pot them up and bring them inside for the winter. Some of the anger ones are way to big to take inside and outside on the whim of the weather; but the smaller plants (such as the potted ferns) are easy to set out on the porch when it is warm, and we usually put those out in the yard when it rains so that they get a good soaking.

I would be perfectly happy if it stayed warmer all winter; but it looks like the cold is here for at least the first half of January, according to what I can see in our forecast.
    My first Spring gardening catalogs are starting to show up; so I will be browsing through those and deciding what new things we want to plant this year.

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

We have been unusually cold in California and this week we will get rain which translates to snow in the mountains, which is a good thing even if I don't go there. The run off in spring helps a lot with drought.

Yvonne Smith likes this.