Food Price Shock

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joy Martin, May 1, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Got a food delivery yesterday and it's from a privately owned store so prices have always been a bit higher but the quality is so good. Yesterday without asking the gal the price of a pt of Haagen Dazs ice cream I ordered it as a last minute item. Just got a craving and I have not had ice cream in many months and this was a topper....

When I was reading my receipt I saw where the pt was $6.99 I was expecting at least $4.99 with all the price hikes but $7.... I called the store and complained to the mgr just to vent and knew they would do nothing.

I checked my other online store to see their price and it was $4.99.

The thing is with all the hikes the prices will probably stay up there ongoing...Once the market has been changed, prices don't come down.

I can remember not that long ago when a pint of ice cream was $2.99-$3something.

Thomas Stillhere and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Some stores turn over inventory faster than others. Perhaps the new shipment was more expensive, or maybe they raised the price based on the shipment they ordered but haven't received yet. Smaller stores tend to order smaller quantities, and maybe their prices are higher than Walmart or Kroger.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have decided to apply for SNAP. :)

4. Joy Martin

Registered

I explained going into the post, it's from a smaller store so I could expect higher price, BUT this much....

Price will keep me from buying ice cream which I don't very much anyway.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  5. Joy Martin

Registered

What does this mean?

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I now understand that purchase limits are now in place in some areas and price controls are being discussed. That never bodes well. Do you folks have limits on purchase quantities, such as only 1 per customer? Janet Yellen is predicting negative impacts as our economy contracts (It shrank 1.5% last month per the government). A bill has been introduced into the House to authorize the movement of U.S. troops into conflict zones in Europe, and the Chinese are now shipping large quantities of weapons into Serbia (remember WWI). The U.S. has increased surveillance of Cuba and the Russians threatened to move armaments into Cuba and Venezuela if the U.S. continued to ship weapons into Ukraine, so perhaps this has occurred. The World Bank is predicting food price increases of 50% or more over the remainder of the year. Things don't look so hot for the future....

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

I believe there is a program like this in CA and all under the Medical system. You have to give them your life history to get this program. I am not willing to do that.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a diet cola addict. Always was. I worked at staying below $2.50 a 12 pack of cans. At $2.75 I had to wrastle with myself. I will start drinking more of my teas.
    Look for Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Gibbons. There is a lot of food free for the taking.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I occasionally watch youtube videos on a channel called "Celebrating Appalachia." The woman who makes the videos has a few on foraging for food; one is about eating hostas, another is frying dandelion flowers, making jelly from weeds, etc.

11. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I shopped yesterday morning and saw two small cans of campbell's pork and beans so I picked up two, I have never seen such small cans, they were just tiny and 95 cents a can. One of my favorites when I shop is apple fritters, they have remained the same price for several months and I noticed the size of the fritters is about one half what they were just a couple months ago. A lot of stretching the laws is going on and they are not losing money but making more than they ever have. ;0(

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've watched that. It showed up as suggested to me, I think, because I like listening to Appalachian music sometimes.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter and I used to laugh because while driving down our country roads, we were more like shopping. Gibbon's explanation of cattails is very helpful. They are easy to spot. the secret to dandelions' bitterness is to pull the green of the leaves away from the vein. (he did not tell me this;)) The edibility of stinging nettle is amazing and good for you. Fiddleheads freshly picked....So many fresh vegetables without pesticides! Enjoy the hunt. Use chopped ramps, nettle or wild garlic in your bread ?

14. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Did your family eat Poke Salad ? It became very popular during the depression due to people having no money. My Grandmother canned it so we had it year round. The only place it can be found is where live stock have grazed and fertilized. Sounds bad I know but no different than any other food stuff we eat daily. My Uncle would fill the entire pickup bed full when he went out to gather. By the 60s it was getting very scarce outside of Houston and even before then you would only find it 30 miles outside the city limits. Cooked like spinach it was pretty good. An Uncle spent time in the Philippines as a welder in WWII, he told me how the Filipinos would cook sweet potato leaves like spinach and he tried cooking some from his garden in Arkansas , it was just like spinach and if you didn't know it was sweet potato leaves you would think it was spinach. I always think about the first human to eat an onion, what made him think it was good ?

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I know and is a Bitch to do. But I figure i have paid the way of many to eat and live thru taxes and donations over years. it is our turn. Also looking into assistance with rent. Stock market is killing me alone.
    i have not finish application yet for SNAP - not sure we will even be accepted. i cant tell you how postal I may go if that happens:cool:

Beth Gallagher likes this.