Fruit And Vegatable Stands

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Faye Fox, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This time of year through the fall we have several stands going and my favorite is one where one of their fields borders the highway and it is more of a small store than a stand. They also have a bistro with lovely views of the fields. It was too hot yesterday to enjoy the outdoor seating although a couple of young ladies were out there in jean shorts and crop tops. I pointed that out to my friend that insisted I change out of my jean shorts (age-inappropriate she says) before she would drive me out there. After all, she was making a sacrifice by donning a bra so it was only fair I don some longer jeans. I did it to make her happy, but took my bra off and put on a light gray tank top that I tucked in. She didn't notice I was braless until we were seated. She wasn't amused.

They serve sandwiches and soups only. I had their vegetable soup and it was very good. We enjoyed drinking local blackberry cider. One was enough for me but then a middle-aged veterinarian lady we know came in with two of her older semi-retired guy business partners. They sat down and we all chatted about the weird weather and how the melons and tomatoes at this farm were riping slowly and we would have to wait three more days to buy them. This farm picks vine ripe only and picks daily. They also have a room with local jams, honey, hot sauce, and the like. They have another room with local crafts. It is easy to part with hard-earned money there.

After two 8% ciders and one of the guys offers to buy us another round, my friend says it is time to go. After calling me a lightweight for getting drunk off two ciders, she points out the guy never noticed all my bizarre and romance-killing facial gyrations and tics that can discourage a guy fast and in a hurry, because, one, I had on my large sunglasses, and two, his eyes were on my boobs the entire time.

I promised to leave my bra on next time and wear long jeans, since I love these getaways and girl trips to rural stands, cafes, and events, but it is too dangerous for me to drive if it involves highways or freeways. I depend on her for rides. I am looking forward to the stands wine and watermelon day and our cowboy breakfast at the rodeo grounds.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We have, in addition to those stands, an ice cream shop. I did not believe it was going to make it when they started but now they are open year round, hosting events etc. It is out in the boonies but people found it by word of mouth. Overlooks the farm of the people who opened it and you can watch the comings and goings of the cows and equipment down the hills. During covid you went up to a window to make your order and sat outside. They didn't have that much indoor seating anyway.
    Local is the way to go!

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Interesting timing. I was just on Craigslist, Next Door and a couple of "Buy Local" websites lining up places to buy things to dehydrate (I'm currently working on that list.) I gotta think there are lots more out here in the country that don't bother getting "listed" anywhere because I've not found a lot. Many of the ones listed are just there to fill up those sites...I can find no details or P.O.C.s or anything like that. One of them only sells meats, and you call ahead to place your order and then pick it up...there is no wandering around. I've only found 2 so far that seem to be active and that sell fruits & veggies.

Regarding the ice cream stands: there's one not too far from me that's been there for about 10 years. He seems to do a good business although I've not stopped by yet. There are a few picnic tables out there so people can just sit down and relax (and they can keep their car interiors clean.) I recall going to places like that when I was a kid in Indiana. It's good to see that the tradition of a family just going out for an ice cream cone has not died. It helps that there's nothing else to do.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox I understand the ride thing. It is unfortunate that your friend isn't more supportive . We have earned the right to be confortable (however that may look) day drink and then Shame Shame........... flirt.
    I'm really not beating up your friend, but how does she know what another person finds to be a romance inhibitor? Well unless she enjoys both sides of the buffet :eek:.

As far as being dressed so that your boobs distract attention from some part of your body that you deem less attractive? Per Genious!!! How did you ever think of that one Faye :p:p:p. My gawd, is your friend a nun? :cool:. Send her over here for a long weekend and she'd be screaming into the night.

Not really

John Brunner likes this.