Garden: 2020

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Ken Anderson, May 3, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Now, all you guys are good gardeners and of that there is no doubt but........
    How many of you can honestly say that you use the cracks on the porch deck to raise Kale like my wife does?

CFF17A6E-C44F-47FA-91D6-27F79D907679.jpeg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

An update on my garden. So far, everything is growing good this year, the extra sunlight has helped a whole lot. The beans (from the grocery store bag of beans) that I planted have sprouted, and are growing like crazy ! I planted them too thick probably , but I can always thin them out if necessary.
    The plants on the shelves of the white stand are the beans, and some cucumbers, so you can see how well the beans have grown.
    I am still adding more of the bamboo into my garden fence, and making it more sturdy.

E2DA1108-4516-434F-AB49-95CC615F0543.jpeg

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

lillygarden-072520.jpg

A daylily volunteered to grow in my front yard, probably related to the one that volunteered to grow on the other side of the driveway a few years ago, and has been thriving, so I decided to buy a few more daylilies, of a couple of different colors, and make a garden for them. along with a couple of other bulb plants that the squirrels transplanted there a few years ago.

4. Ken Anderson

5. Ken Anderson

Our beans did pretty well this year, which is surprising since we used beans that were leftover from last year. But we've got a couple of good crops from a small raised garden, and still have the blossoms for another one before the season is over. Next spring, or possibly before the winter, after the beans are done, I am going to build a sort of an arbor over the garden, with either lattice or netting that the beans can climb on, replacing the mishmash of strings, rope, and sticks that I have now. Each winter I make a list of things to do during the spring, summer, and fall. Of about ten projects on a list, I feel pretty good about myself if I actually accomplish two of them, and these are more likely to be the ones that I feel like working on rather than prioritized by importance, so I'm not overburdening myself.

Terry Coywin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Sunflower Giganteus from Park Seed were to grow up to 12 feet, and the nearest was approaching it but the weight of the flower bent it over.
    The third one down looks like it will have 5 or more flowers which I did not expect.

upload_2020-8-23_8-52-11.jpeg

upload_2020-8-23_8-52-47.jpeg

7. Yvonne Smith

We have actually harvested more this year than we have any other year. Moving the garden out back after the trees were cut down has really helped, because now they get a lot more sunlight. the tomatoes that I planted in the front yard (where the most sun was out front) have barely grown and only a few tomatoes. The ones out back have developed into huge long vines, wandering all along the fence, and I have been picking some tomatoes every day.
    The okra is close to 7 feet tall, and is still making lots of baby okras, so I have been adding okra to anything that I cooked that it could be put into. I really like okra, and especially with tomatoes !
    Growing in the laundry baskets has worked really well.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So pretty, Ed. Looks like it would be easy to support that leaning one with a little twine through the fence. :D

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have enough okra to freeze, Yvonne? It freezes well.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Growing season is kaput and everything has been cleaned up. Cherry tomatoes had a good yield. Morning glories only fed the Japanese beetles so I pulled them out before they flowered. The sunflowers were a chore to clean up since they were small tree size. I had to saw them down but a little stump remains which I have to eliminate lest I damage the mower.

Terry Coywin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Not enough to freeze, Beth. I have a couple laundry baskets with okra plants in them, so it is just about enough for us to have okra in whatever we are making that it can go okay in.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

We only grew a few tomato plants but they did pretty well this year, which is the first year that we've had any success with tomatoes.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Maggie Rose

Maggie Rose Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I planted these as a fenceline for my momma for a few years. They make a beautiful fence line and the flowers are huge! She loved it for the privacy she finally got from the neighbors. I would just keep seed from 1 or 2 plants and have loads to plant the following year. Oh my, the clean up wasn't fun though. These things have some hellacious roots to clean up in the fall. I didn't like that part. Pretty pictures.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Maggie Rose

Maggie Rose Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It looks like a peony to me. I have about a dozen or so different varieties and on one the flower looks the same.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

desk-red.jpg
    Is this better?