Gardening, Flowers And Veggies 2024

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In contrast to @Beth Gallagher's post, our gardening season is just beginning and the gardens aren't even completely planted yet. The "pasture garden" (old pasture) is complete as of yesterday, but only about half the "trailer garden" is planted. We have peas, beans, turnips, rutabaga, kohlrabi, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, buckwheat, radishes, carrots, celery, celeriac, fennel, parsley, zucchini, various herbs, and probably a few other things planted outside. The greenhouses have have tomatoes, cucumbers, some beans, and peppers, with the more fragile herbs and a few eggplants thrown in for good measure. Winter squashes and our mostly futile attempts at melons yet to be plants somewhere. Potatoes are also growing.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I forgot to add beets, onions and garden huckleberries, a tomato relative, not a real huckleberry.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Mr. Alaska-
    I find it very interesting to read about about the gardening in the far north. Down here on the Gulf Coast, we are already into summertime "dead zone" where most of our spring crops have been harvested and now won't grow. This morning I replanted late green beans and some winter squash, but to tell the truth, very few plants with vines- melons, squash, cucumbers- make it here. We have such very wet summers here, melons and tomatoes and such just take on so much water that they burst and rot. Most discouraging.
    Now, about the end of September I will be able to plant broccolli and snap peas and other spring stuff, because we won't get frost until January, and maybe not even then.

And I am about to work up a small mess of green beans I picked last evening- just enough for lunch, I think.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss our not having a garden this year- too much going on. Maybe next year

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday I decided to dump my potato grow bags and see if I actually grew any 'taters. I harvested quite a few small new potatoes, enough for a few meals for the two of us. I think they would have done better in the ground than in the grow bags, but I still got a decent crop. I started them from seeds in my Aerogarden so it was a fun experiment.

We had some of the little potatoes with supper, boiled with skin-on then tossed with parsley and butter. YUMMY.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Our experience with potatoes started from seed is that they yield smaller potatoes than those started from tubers too.

Beth Gallagher likes this.