Gardening Memory

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Tony Page, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

With the gardening season starting it brings back a lot of memories. Most of them revolve around all the things I did to get the best crops possible including spending part of the winter reviewing seed catalogs to select the vegetable that will give the best results. a while back talking to a relative telling him the things I do to get the produce he was looking at in my garden like starting seeds, watering, composting, rototilling, planting and on and on he said " isn't that a lot of work", I never though of it that way. They say if you love what you're doing it's not work that fit my feeling about my gardening tasks. I'm still in awe that I can start a seedling that will grow into a beautiful plant with edible vegetables.
    When my grandkids were young I started a Gardening Club for them and some of there friends. I pulled the grass out from the side of my house, rototilled the dirt, leveled it, sectioned off 7 child sized plots.I got them there own set of hand gardening tools and gloves. we would meet once a week and garden for about an hour, then I planned games, and creative activity for them. There Moms my daughter and wife would socialize while I entertained the kids.After a few hours I would order lunch usually pizza or fast food.
    We planted radishes, marigolds and tomatoes. the kids learned how to plant, how to seed, and how to water, and more importantly how to harvest. Watching them react to each other was interesting.Trying to teach them patience was tough "why did it take so long for the green tomato to turn red". in the end it was a great memory especially seeing their faces light up when they pick their first tomato and saw the first marigold flower. Each of them ran to their mom with their first tomato showing it to her with Pride, that made it worth it.
    Do you have any special memories about gardening?

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Tony ours did the same thing, we had 4 to 6 of them all summer every year.
    They learned to never say "I'm bored" here too.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Tony I sure could use some of the work the grands used to help me with, especially the gardening and other digging.

Tony Page likes this.