Get My Color Option To Stay

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Julia Curtis, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No.So I won't color it anymore,but geeze I really liked the purple,I followed your instructions to the letter.:(

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you got to the point where you entered the site name in the "Sites that can always use cookies" place, then that was the goal and you did it right.

I would have been surprised if it had made a difference, only because Chrome is already set up to permit cookies to remain when you close it. If I think of it, I may play around with that setting in Firefox and in Chrome to see what I can figure out. I imagine others might like to be able to retain that setting, too.

3. Julia Curtis

Registered

Thank you Mr.Brunner,I appreciate your effort.:)

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am not any kind of Tech Wizard, so I just do not close anything down on the forum, EVER. I just minimize it and that way I am always signed in, and everything stays just like it is supposed to stay.
    If nothing else works, @Julia Curtis , you can try my “old lady way” and see if that keeps the purple website working for you.

5. John Brunner

So I was able to get it to keep my color choice in Chrome after I logged out, closed Chrome, reopened Chrome and logged back in. But in the process I found out something about Chrome that makes our working on this really difficult. When I opened Chrome this morning to work on this, the menu options under Privacy and Security are different than they were last night. A quick web search discloses that Chrome "just does this." They push out these menu changes to some browsers. I don't know if the Version suffix #s change. One guy commented that he uses the same version of Chrome on two different computers, and some of the menus are different. So you're not going crazy if you cannot find the options that you found last night. This would have been a mess yesterday if you have one flavor of menu and I had the other, yet we both have the same version, huh? Sadly, that's the spot we may be in now.

So....when you feel like messing with it:

-Log out of the forum
    -Go back to "Sites that can always use cookies" and see if there is a down arrow by SeniorsOnlyClub.
    -If there is, click on it and then click on "Reset Permissions." Then make sure that Java Script is "Allowed."
    -Log into the forum (If you want to automatically be logged in without having to enter your Name/Password every time, click the Stay Logged In checkbox and don't log out when you're done for the day.)
    -Select your color.
    -Log out of the forum.
    -Close Chrome.
    -Reopen Chrome.

If this does not work, log out of the forum, close/reopen Chrome, and log back in one more time. I don't understand Chrome and what it takes for some of these settings to "stick." My first attempt seem to have failed, but when I closed & reopened Chrome a second time, the color setting had been retained.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
  6. Julia Curtis

Registered

I'm just following Mr.Brunners instructions,I see he has more for me lol.I am not a techie either Yvonne,but I'm just following his instructions.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Julia Curtis

Registered

Update:It stays on my phone but not my tablet.

8. John Brunner

1) So it did not used to stay on your phone, but now it does?

2) What tablet do you have?
    2)a) Is it using Chrome as the browser?
    (I think we discussed this before but I don't feel like searching)

9. Julia Curtis

Registered

1.I only tried it on my phone today.And it stayed.I was having no luck with my tablet.
    2.Lenovo ThinkPad it's new.It uses Chrome 117.

10. John Brunner

I'm glad your phone works.

Were you able to follow the steps on your tablet and verify that Java Script was enabled, or was the Chrome menu different from my print screens?

11. Julia Curtis

Registered

Chrome menu was the same and I followed the same steps and Java Script is enabled.So color on my phone but not my tablet.I can't have everything I want lil.:)

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Yeh, you and I don't need Tech Support to understand that one. ;) Consider yourself edified above 90% of our fellow humans.

Maybe it will start working after you've shut down/restarted Chrome a couple of times. It's weird that this new Chrome menu that got installed overnight has no place to allow/deny cookies like the original menu did.

The only other thing you could do is to try a different browser. I don't know if you have Edge installed already. The Lenovo website has a link to the Mozilla (Firefox) website to download Firefox for Lenovo mobile devices and tablets. It may not be important enough to you to mess with it.

13. Julia Curtis

Registered

I can live without color on my tablet but I am glad it's on my phone now.Thank you for your assistance Mr.Brunner.Two minds are better than one.:D

John Brunner likes this.