1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ginger Tea

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John Brunner, Dec 12, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You remind me that I need to start sprouting seeds again. I kept a bag of sprouts in the fridge for the longest time, and I've fallen away from it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    Don Alaska and Alan Sidlo like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Oil of Oregano can kill off bad things in the upper intestines. I doubt it would survive to reach the colon. The antibiotic often used is not absorbable and non-digestible, but I cannot recall the name of it. Begins with R maybe? Not only do you have bad bacteria perhaps, but it is harbored in the diverticula where it is difficult to reach it.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

1-Just to wrap thing up, the second round of 3x-a-day amoxicillin seems to have fixed things. It took nearly a week after I finished the antibiotic regime for my gut to be 100% back to normal...could have just been residual upset. I've added prebiotics to my regime.

2-I went to Whole Paycheck Foods the other day and bought some turmeric root. It was $10 per pound. A quarter pound was a decent amount of root (perhaps the Indian market carries this at a better price.) I then swung by my favorite Asian market and bought a like-sized hunk of ginger root. I cut them up (leaving on the peel), ran them through a food processor, transferred to a Ziploc bag and put it in the freezer to keep. I slow-simmered some with a star anise for about 20 minutes, then threw in a combination of ginger root tea bags and let those steep for 15 minutes. I did not add sweetener. It's pretty good...just a little weak. (When I use regular tea bags I do 2 to a cup, put a saucer on top of it, and let it steep a good long while, so my expectations are for something "robust.") Next time I'll add more roots and/or let the liquid reduce. I have a canning jar full of this in the fridge, so we'll see how it tastes chilled.

Alan Sidlo and Don Alaska like this.