Going To The Ocean Or Going To The Shore Which Do You Say ?

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Some people in Dorchester County, MD, where I grew up, say 'goin' down the ocean'.

They have an expression here I've never heard anywhere else - 'mun you', which roughly means 'amongst you' or 'you all' and is only used to address a group of people ( Mun you better watch your language ).

We have some interesting Indian names for places on or near the beach on the eastern shore of Virginia. I was born in Exmore, VA on the eastern shore. Assateague Island, Chincoteague, Sinepuxent Bay, Metompkin Island, Assawoman Island, Watchapreague, and so on.

Chincoteague, on Assateague Island, is where they have an annual wild pony swim and auction, put on by the local fire company. Assateague Island has wild ponies and also horseflies the size of bumble bees which bite hard and draw blood.There are several other islands on the Virginian eastern shore with wild ponies, or there used to be. I'm not sure of their current status about that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  2. Mark Bayarsky

Mark Bayarsky Well-Known Member
    Registered

In New York where I grew up we just went to the beach, meaning Coney Island or maybe Brighton Beach. I have lived in Jersey since 1985 and here it is down the shore.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

To the beach or the outer banks.