Growing Your Own Fresh Sprouts

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 14, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, I'm reading all sorts of stuff about it. I'm wondering if my 2-4 year outlook is really all that significant. Vacuum bags and desiccant might be good enough.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This is a prepper channel, but he has a primer on sprouts as a possible food source in hard times.
    Link

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. John Brunner

Good video. I bought a supply of sprouts from my hippy vendor on the west coast to have around for the use @Don Alaska mentioned. In fact, I just harvested my first batch of kale sprouts last night. I've not taken any to the micro green stage yet.

The guy on the video kinda slurred his sentence regarding sprouting grains and gluten intolerance and I'm not sure what he was saying. @2:19..."If you're slightly gluten intolerant, you will be glad to know that sprouting grains will reduce [your?] glutens by nearly 50%." I don't know exactly what he means there, or what the value is (use the for making sprouted wheat breads?) I don't know enough about grains and sprouts and micro greens to know what "harvested grain nutritional benefit" you might get from sprouts.

I've sprouted a grain mix I talked about before that contains Wheat, Rye, Triticale, Oats, Spelt, Kamut, Quinoa, Sesame, Millet and Amaranth. It's "meaty," versus the "grassy" flavor of sprouted seeds. It is much more filling as the main part of a meal (like avocado & sprout sandwich) than seed sprouts are...there's "substance" to it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Every fall, I say that I am tired of growing a garden and am not going to plant anything the next year. Then, along comes January and February, and all of a sudden, that pesky Growing Bug hits me full force.
    It is way to early to even start plants in the house, so I got out the sprouting tray and am making mung bean micro greens. I found a package of red field peas in the back room, so I think I will try them next and see if they will still sprout.

5. John Brunner

I've done lots of different sprouts, but have yet to take anything to the micro green stage. I assume that once you harvest them (cut them off), they do not continue to grow back, do they?

6. Yvonne Smith

I grew lentil sprouts before and once tried sunflower sprouts micro greens. Once you cut them, I think that they do not regrow, especially if you do the harvesting where you cut off the roots.
    I just ordered more sprouting trays from amazon, so I can try growing several kinds and starting them at different times.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

I have one sprouting tray and have only used it for mung bean sprouts, since they are too large to do in jars.

8. John Brunner

@Yvonne Smith Have you tried sprouting sesame seeds? I just tried a batch I bought from Sproutpeople.org along with my first batch of kohlrabi sprouts. The sesame seeds did nothing. I just cleaned the kohlrabi and am having it on a salad.

Sprout People say that the sesame seed sprouts start to taste bitter if they sprout longer than one day (apparently they are tiny at this point), but mine have gone for 3 days and done nothing. Other than a batch of brown mustard seeds I had laying around when I did my first ever batches of sprouts, these are the first things to fail. I doubt that I got a bad batch of seeds from these guys.

9. Yvonne Smith

I have never tried sprouting any of the tiny seeds like flax, chia, or sesame seeds. It seems like I read that the flax and chia are sprouted on a tray with wet paper towel, but I would have to look and see. Maybe the sesame seeds need that, too ?

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

From what I've read, sesame seeds are sprouted jut like any other seed. I read about flax & chia some time ago. Apparently they are best "sprouted" on an unglazed pottery saucer (maybe because it slowly absorbs moisture?) I don't believe the chia seeds really "sprout," they soften and form a gelatinous mass. I forget what I read about the flax seeds. The Sprout People have instructions for growing microgreens out of the two seeds, but nothing about sprouting them (kinda interesting, huh? It's as though they skip that phase.)

11. John Brunner

I'm making my second batch of kohlrabi sprouts. These are pretty good, tied with fenugreek and black mustard as my favorite. It's a tiny,thin sprout, but still flavorful.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I put them in fried rice and egg foo yung

13. Yvonne Smith

Yesterday, I make a loaf of sprouted grains bread, similar to the Ezekiel bread from the Bible . It was a simple idea that i found on youtube, and I just sprouted the seeds and grains for 2 days, then put them in the blender with some kefir and bakers yeast and blended everything up.
    Once I added it into the bowl, I put in some rolled oats until it was a thicker texture, and then let it sit and rise while we went to the fitness center yesterday morning, and baked the bread later in the afternoon.

I ordered sourdough starter, which is what is supposed to be used in the recipe, so once I have that going good, my next loaf will be with sourdough to use for levening.
    I am having a piece for breakfast with a bit of butter and cheese this morning. Here is how it turned out.

IMG_5086.jpeg

14. John Brunner

That's interesting. I imagine that the kefir has some amount of yeast in it as well.