Had A Urodynamics Procedure Today

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by John Brunner, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I generally only eat nuts in moderation but this time I went way overboard. This is my first attack in 23 years from here on and I got to be careful.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Funny you mention the holidays...I always got my annual physical near my birthday in May. COVID messed that up and it shifted to November. That's smack in the middle of The Season of Bad Eating Habits. I told my doctor I'm skipping my November physical...see you on Memorial Day!

I hope your issues clear up quickly. 23 years is a good run. Tonight I went to a Christmas Party at the church I used to attend. I had more "regular food" than I've had in a couple of weeks. It's sitting a little heavy, but I think I'll be OK...my second course of antibiotics (Amox-Clav) will end tomorrow afternoon.

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife made a big bowl of pasta and sausage, our usual Sunday meal revolves around pasta. My daughter and grandkids and her husband were here. I couldn't resist had one spoonful of penne. Doctor told me to stay away from food for a while, actually what he said was "don't eat", I said I got to eat something, "then make sure it's soft no fiber". I figure pasta's pretty soft. Truthfully I'm not all that hungry, just feel like sleeping, just achy, with a large headache.

4. John Brunner

I understand, and I empathize. Here's what the internet says:
    **********************************​
    Doctors used to recommend a low fiber, clear liquid diet during diverticulitis flare-ups; however, some experts no longer believe that you have to avoid certain foods when you have diverticulosis or diverticulitis. That said, management of diverticulitis depends on the person. Some people may find that avoiding certain food helps.

Some doctors still recommend a clear liquid diet during mild flare-ups. Once symptoms improve, they may recommend moving on to a low fiber diet until symptoms disappear, then building up to a high fiber diet.

***********************************​
    That website (Healthline) lists pasta as a low fiber food. During the initial examination--where my doctor hit a painful spot on my lower-left abdomen--he told me to get more fiber.

The American Gastroenterological Association "suggests that antibiotics should be used selectively, rather than routinely, in patients with acute uncomplicated diverticulitis." My doctor said he was on the fence regarding prescribing them. (Your case is certainly less borderline than mine.) But a blood test showed an elevated white blood cell count.

I am skeptical regarding the source/motivation for some of this stuff. There seems to be such an aversion to "over-prescribing" antibiotics that those of us who truly need them are at risk of going untreated (as happened to me for so long with my bladder sediment.) I hope your stuff turns around fast. You must have healed some during the past 23 years.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I've had minor flare ups over the years and never had it checked out I let my body fight whatever minor infection I had. This time was a little different it was much more painful when it was touched so I decided to see the doctor before the end of the year before my deductible starts over next year.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

I respect your healthcare standards. ;)

Tony Page likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I just hit 6 weeks of having this suprapubic catheter (SPC) clogging issue fixed, so thought I would summarize my experiences now that I've had a period of "normal."

Downsides of All Catheter Types (including the SPC)
    I want my teenage bladder back. But that's not gonna happen.

-Bacteria colonizes around catheters, so if you have a urinary tract infection a urinalysis will be of no diagnostic value (cathed people always test positive for bacteria.) Some (most?) urologists will not prescribe antibiotics until you exhibit other symptoms (like a fever.) Walk-in clinics tend to be more forgiving.

-Regular urine tests for other maladies or reasons are compromised. Not only does the cath-caused bacteria compromise them, but the presence of white blood cells could be indication of an unrelated infection or they could be caused solely by the presence of the cath. You also lose the diagnostic value of having issues when you urinate (burning, hesitation), because you no longer urinate.

-I have to wait for an available stall in public bathrooms to empty the leg bag...no more urinals, no more peeing over the side of boats or on trees or into the wind.

-Being tethered to an overnight bag when trying to sleep is odd at first but becomes "normal." The main downside is if there's an emergency, I'm not gonna pop out of bed, throw on a pair of pants and run out the door.

-The leg bag does not have to get very full for the weight & bulk to be annoying when it's held on by elastic straps, so for now bathroom trips are somewhat frequent as I empty it at low volumes.
    --There are different rigs to hold the bags, I've not found an alternative I like but I think this is solvable.

-Sometimes the leg bag gets real full real fast and can be life-disruptive. It's not a 100% predictable flow rate.
    --I had a Christmas event disrupted by a 1000ML bag nearly completely filling less an hour after I left home and there was no bathroom available. It was very cold when I went out (15°F), so that was likely a factor ("cold diuresis.") I left the event and emptied it at a gas station, and when I got home I decided to accumulate a like-kind volume so as to accurately measure the amount for my own edification (bag markings are not accurate.) After 5 hours with significant fluid intake it was time to go to bed, and the volume fell short of what I had previously generated in only 60 minutes...I must have been rehydrating from the high-volume loss. So there are lots of factors that influence rate & volume that can be an issue when I'm driving, shopping, sitting through a movie, etc.

-I get bladder spasms when the cath creates a suction against the bladder wall.
    --They are not as frequent for me as I've read they can be for others.
    --The last 2 caths have been worse than prior ones. Perhaps the legacy sediment issue (that was recently remediated) had reduced the flow/suction, or perhaps this condition worsens over time.
    --I can get meds for the spasms but am gonna hold off until I try a different type of catheter designed to remediate them.

-Sediment issues had put me in routine blockage crisis, and are caused in some people when certain bacteria colonize around the catheter and react with their urine...there's no way of knowing beforehand who's gonna have this issue and it seems to be casually accepted in the profession even though it's easily remedied. There's some amount of frustration out there.
    --Flushing the cath with sterile water can sometimes help keep it free-flowing, and is easy to do.
    --I eventually got on long-term antibiotics to remediate the issue. It was a struggle to get a script.

Upsides of All Catheter Types

-It empties your bladder when other ways no longer function, so you live to see another day.

-Things in general are more comfortable for me than they have been for a long time since I had not completely emptied in a very long time.

-I sleep better than I have in many years. I fall asleep quickly and sleep through the entire night. It's now been weeks since I've needed a late afternoon 2 hour nap, which had been a years-long habit.

-I prefer being cathed to the idea of having to self-catheterize, although I really don't like the loss of diagnostic urinary symptoms/analysis that a catheter causes. That one bothers me.
    --I pass nearly 4 liters/day, so would need to empty manually quite often.

SPC-Specific

-I am shocked that having this thing sticking out of me is not freaking me out. Given the experiences that brought me to this place, I guess it's more of a relief than anything else. I lived 5 weeks with a traditional catheter and would wake up at 3AM having panic attacks due to it. There was no way I could have lived long-term that way (and it's not recommended.)

-The traditional cath gave me horrid infections. That risk is way less with the SPC.

-An SPC is way more comfortable than the old-fashioned way of being cathed.

-The SPC imposes no restrictions on my normal activities, other than logistics with the leg bag. The old fashioned cath could be "bothersome" when I'd load firewood or work on my tractor or pick something up or move the wrong way in my sleep. With the SPC, I can't even tell that it's there most of the time.

-Monthly SPC changes at the doctor's office are no big deal at all. It feels "odd" but not uncomfortable, and it's certainly not painful. The other way was chock-full of anxiety and major discomfort.

-The only maintenance issue unique to the SPC is that a "crust" forms around the cath at the entry point in my abdomen and can irritate, so it needs to be cleaned off. This crust can form every couple of days, or (rarely) twice a day.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@John Brunner It is nice that you can discuss this impartially. I have experienced all of the above except the SPC. Many of the downsides listed above are not experienced with self-cathing, and I think that is really why it is encouraged. I had bladder spasms for a while, and was given samples to relieve them for a week or two which seemed to break the cycle and they have not returned. I no longer have to deal with any of that, as I have achieved an equilibrium that is tolerable for me. I keep supplies around for self-cathing, but have not had to use them for a Long time, and I hope I will never have to do so.
    It seems that you are arriving at an equilibrium that satisfies your needs and you have found competent medical care. I wish you well, my friend.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I really appreciate the support and advice through all of this, Don. Funny that through all of the blockages I experienced, no one mentioned self-cathing, and even in my darkest hour it never occurred to me that I have that safety valve. If I ever decide to go that route and eject this SPC, I think that I need to get my high bladder neck looked at first.

I mostly posted the above for others because I had not been told much of it as I was in mid-crisis. The other thing that I've mentioned elsewhere is that--despite the commercials--not all male urinary problems are prostate-related. I gotta think that if I had gone in earlier I may have halted the damage to my bladder muscles caused by retention...maybe. But I had no idea...and I was afraid to find out. And there's no talk of any of these consequences from letting things go too long, just the allure of not getting out of bed multiple times at night to pee. Even after I was receiving care, no one told me I might end up in the spot I'm in now.

I've had occasion on another forum to recount this tale to 2 other men who are having issues, telling them to go in now to at least have the malady diagnosed so they know what they're dealing with. They can always defer procedures, but until things are quantified they're just living with "what ifs," and may be incurring continued harm by waiting, despite how commercials may trivialize the issue.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My problems originated in medical misdiagnosis and mismanagement after my back injury, so the origins of our troubles are somewhat different.

11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Tony take care thinking of you along with others here, When we say our prayers, we include all here,

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

From reading threw this thread seems you found a better dr, and some relief, we think of you and others here but had some things going on but ok now.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Don, you too, eyes are tired so just say good night and take care.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  14. John Brunner

The nightmare is back. Starting last Friday, my daily catheter flush has been extracting cloudy liquid (not a good sign.) This began last Friday. I started emptying the collection bags through a screen and the sediment issue has returned.

This is caused by bacteria. It makes no sense. Everything I read says that bacteria do not become resistant to the nitrofuratoin I've been taking and I'm only on Week 10 of it. I have read conflicting articles regarding the efficacy of nitrofuratoin against the klebsiella pneumoniae bacteria, but the nitrofuratoin kept things clear for the first 2 catheters (4 weeks each) after I started taking it. This is the 3rd cath since I've been on it...the issues started Day 16.

I sent a Patient Portal message, but this doctor is so busy it takes a couple of days to get a response. We're heading into the weekend when the urology offices are closed, and I'm getting paranoid...the closest ER has told me to not come back. I have no idea what the next step will be. At least now I'm flushing daily, so maybe that will prevent a catastrophe.

dammit

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

John,
    Sorry to hear your medical issues are going sideways. Is there someone else who can help you? Like a nurse, or can you make an appointment to see the doctor.
    Hang in there,
    Tony

John Brunner likes this.