Had A Urodynamics Procedure Today

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by John Brunner, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Have you had any diet or lifestyle changes since the last exam? Normally they don't determine stone type from an x-ray. Maybe something on the image told him something, or he was just guessing. Keep us informed if you wish, but since you brought up the topic, you must be comfortable "talking" about it with your friends on the forum.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Stop going to the doctor and they'll stop finding stuff wrong with you." -- My friend Eddie

3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I would advise the same for regular physicals, but if you have a real problem that is affecting your life, it is best to get it addressed unless the "cure is worse than the disease" as Donald Trump once said.

4. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

that last quote from eddie....
    nail on the head....
    cream of tartar in water...tasty and clears the urinary tract of yeast and other bacteria....
    tastes like lemons too...
    oh the human condition....
    be well

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

A friend recently saw an eye doctor about her cataract surgery. He said, "You're 67 years old and take no medications, have no health issues whatsoever?? What's your secret?"

She responded, "I avoid going to the doctor at all costs."

6. John Brunner

The only thing I can think of is I started eating sprouts. But those shouldn't affect this. When I first moved here I was drinking my hard water and it brought back my kidney stones in a "different" way. Once I went to bottled water (and then got a softener), all that stopped. I would think if there's anything increasing my calcium intake, it would show up in a recurrence of stones.

The doctor said that that it's possible they did not get all of the old stone out and this stuff formed around it...that if all of the stone had been removed, he would not expect to see another one for a long time.

My trust level with doctors is very low, especially when it comes to this stuff. This is so damned intrusive...

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

... said every medical patient, ever. :D

8. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@John Brunner

Its difficult to change ones lifestyle especially through diet but it could ease a lot of discomfort. I would first try cutting down on tomatoes, especially the seeds.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

I don't really eat tomatoes, except pasta sauce. And I have that less than once a week.

What else do you think might cause this, Susan?

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Time to lean how to make tomato Concasse. (peeled and seeded).

11. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

John: Good luck to you going forward.

I've never heard of your situation and don't understand it. I had prostate cancer and removal in 2012, and there is no external sphincter muscle under my bladder anymore. If anything, peeing is too easy -- it's all gravity. If nothing is restricting your urethra why does it not empty just by gravity? Or are the bladder muscles actually needed for that? I guess they must be, and for me too then.

On to the catheter; I have one anecdotal story. A good friend of mine died in 2015, he was 77 and had about everything wrong with him you can imagine. He told me that he had to self-catheterize and that it wasn't a big deal. I was somewhat shocked to hear him say that, seems like a huge deal to me (I had one for 8 days after prostate surgery, although they put it in while I was still under).

Usually they are a waste of time, but did you get a second opinion?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

John,
    I'm really sorry to hear about your medical issues. I don't know much about this other than once I thought I had a stone I spoke to my family doctor and he said drink drink drink. I just read recently that if it's a calcium Stone sometimes you can dissolve it with lemon juice and or apple cider vinegar.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I just remembered.
    Years ago I read a book supposedly written by a doctor. It had a diet in there call I believe The Melon Diet. It was a two week diet That was supposed to flush out your system of garbage that was in there for 20 years or more.
    As I remember it, for three meals a day for 2 week you have to consume just melon and nuts for protein. Melon being a diuretic expect to use the bathroom a lot.
    Last day of the diet the meal changes, you are to cut up a watermelon into one-inch cubes and eat one every 5 minutes for the whole day. Sounds easy right it's not after a little while you are so full you don't want to see another melon. I filled up a cup with the watermelon cubes and had it with me continually.
    For me this helped the constant urges I had they we're gone.
    I'm not sure this will help your condition but it might be worth knowing.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@John Brunner I am a bit rusty on the stone thing, but usually they have to have some indication of the stone composition to diagnose and treat the cause. Piece of the stone would work, the entire stone if accessible would be best, but if it doesn't pass (painful!!) sometimes crystals in the urine or urine pH can give a clue as to what type of stone you are dealing with. Lithotripsy was a common thing at one time, but I don't know if that is still done or not. Maybe something is changing as you age, or the urine retention is finally taking its toll on you.

Increased liquids help with every type of stone as long as nothing in what you are drinking is contributing to stone formation.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I wonder if real melons work or just watermelon...which isn't a melon. Watermelons would probably help just with the liquid consumption.