Happy Cinco De Mayo

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 4, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My DIL is Mexican-American born in California because of her I try to learn about the Mexican culture.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

LOL. A lot of times when I read or hear the term “Mexican Food” it takes me back quite a few years ago when I worked with a friend of mine, a Latino chef.
    Manny was (he has passed) more of a perfectionist than I am to the point that even terminology bugged him if it wasn’t exact. He wasn’t so much interested in what people in general said but what cooks and chefs say when it comes to food.
    If perchance someone said Mexican food he would automatically start questioning the knowledge of the person speaking because Mexican food is soooo diversified that even our American food pales with its territorial diversity.
    Is it Sonoran, is it Aztec influenced, is it Spanish, French, is it Pima or Mayan or even Apache based? After hearing one of his diatribes with someone in the kitchen, I made sure I always said Sonoran because I had lived in Sonora and was very familiar with those culinary flavors.

One thing Manny insisted on as long as I knew him was that he never worked on Cinco De Mayo. His “people” were under the thumb of the French and he definitely took the defeat of the French to heart. Heck, after the first time I experienced one of his returns to work after partying all night on the 5th, I gave him 3 days off the next year.
    Yeah, I’m still thinking about how he showed up on the 6th, walking on the sides of his feet and toting a partial bottle of mescal sticking out of his knife case.

He was a great guy to work with and thinking about it, I miss him.

3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Most of the people I knew didn’t need to have a real reason to celebrate but do so because other people are doing it.
    Heck, I think that there are a couple of people here who do not believe in Christ but do enjoy and join into the festivities of Christmas.
    They have no real reason to celebrate or enjoy the festivities but they join in just because it’s fun and the food ain’t bad either. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Yvonne Smith and Lon Tanner like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And, to go along with Bobby's post, above mine, there are those that go to church on Sunday AM, but after that Service, end up going back to the way they acted before going to church on that Sunday. IOW, ask for "forgiveness", then go back to what they were doing wrong.

There are many people that say this or that and then do just the opposite.

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

^^^the church is loaded with those people^^^

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think the point I was trying to make got lost somewhere.
    What I was pointing out is that just because a celebration isn’t directly pointed in our direction, there is no reason why we cannot enjoy the festivities with those with that cultural leaning.

The Mexican “Day of the Skulls”, for example, sounds rather morbid so there are not many takers except for those involved in the Mexican culture which in a way, is rather sad.
    They are celebrating those who have passed on believing that this stay on earth is only a part of a journey which actually touches upon just about all religions. They may be sad immediately after someone dies but Nov. 2nd (I believe is the date) is set aside for happiness for the passed and a time for a festival.

The bottom line is that people from all over the world have their own reasons for celebrating this and that and there is no reason why other people of other faiths, thoughts and cultures cannot enjoy those festival times if one is so inclined.
    In truth, we learn more about a people during their festival times than any other time we spend with another culture that is different than our own.
    I certainly do not mind if others of another faith or culture join in on my times of celebration so I doubt seriously if other cultures mind sharing theirs.

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

eople in the United States celebrate their country's Independence Day on the 4th of July. Many people believe Cinco de Mayo (“5th of May" in Spanish) is a celebration of Mexico's Independence Day.

But they're wrong! Mexico's Independence Day is actually September 16.

So what is Cinco de Mayo? Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that recognizes the victory of the Mexican army over the French army on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla. Led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín, the poorly equipped Mexican army made a stand against French forces near the forts of Loreto and Guadalupe.

The Mexican victory provided encouragement to the Mexican army and became a source of pride for the Mexican people. Despite being outnumbered by the French, who had about 8,000 men to the Mexicans' 4,000, the Mexican army destroyed a French army that was considered the best in the world at the time and had not been defeated in nearly 50 years.

Although the victory was short-lived — the French would capture Mexico City and take over the country within a year — it represented a moral victory for the Mexican government. It came to symbolize unity and pride in the unexpected victory of a clear underdog.

Today, Cinco de Mayo is not that important in Mexico and mainly celebrated only in the state of Puebla. In Mexico, the Independence Day celebrations of September 16 represent that nation's most important national holiday.

In the United States, though, Cinco de Mayo has become a significant annual celebration of Mexican culture and heritage. In areas of the country with large Mexican-American populations, such as Portland, Denver and Chicago, large festivals are held. People of all backgrounds celebrate the holiday with parades, parties, and traditional Mexican music, dancing, and foods.

Researchers estimate that more than 150 locations in the United States have official Cinco de Mayo celebrations each year. Cinco de Mayo banners and traditional Mexican symbols, such as the Virgin of Guadalupe, are prominently displayed during events

Lon Tanner likes this.
  8. Herb Sutton

Herb Sutton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am looking for a restaurant that has fried ice cream, yummy.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We are celebrating tomorrow, but at home. Making tacos, a good/tarty margarita and watching some Cinco de Mayo Mexican dancing on YouTube.

When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, there was a Mexican Restaurant that went "all out" for Cinco de Mayo. The afternoon/evening celebration was so crowded that local law enforcement (JSO aka Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) done traffic control in front of the restaurant. We got lucky, being the fact that we have a Handicap Placard.

There were two young ladies giving away shots of certain brand of tequila. A guy, that we knew, George, all dress up as a Mariachi Band member, singing Mexican tunes to prerecorded music. Margaritas being sold throughout the restaurant. And, the highlight of the evening was: beautifully dressed Mexican Dancers and the last dance was the Fire Dance with dancers dressed in authentic Aztec Indian attire.

Nothing like this goes on here, but we will have fun at home anyway.

10. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll bet they don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo in France.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, we don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo. These days we'd probably be accused of cultural appropriation if we did. :rolleyes:

cinco.jpg

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Even the Mexicans that I rent to do not celebrate it.

That said, there are some who say that there is some significance to the battle of Puebla other than what most historians will say for certain.
    We have to note the the U.S. was in a Civil War when the Mexicans defeated the French in that battle in 1862.
    The take I get on it is that if the French had not been defeated then they would have certainly had the weaponry and manpower to ally with the Confederates which might have changed our own war significantly.
    The French did indeed have a large interest in the southern states that separated themselves from the union but how much they could have actually helped the southern war effort is anyone’s guess.
    Maybe the south would now be known as the Confederate States of America or maybe destiny took over and we are who we’re supposed to be, the United States of America.

So, there might be room to celebrate Mexico’s defeat of the French but on the other hand the French were there to help us during our own Revolutionary War and without the aid of the ;pirate Jean Lafitte the Battle of New Orleans would have certainly gone to the British.

I rarely celebrate another country’s celebrations but when I do, I drink a protein shake.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought that few Mexicans celebrate this day...that Americans make more of it than Mexicans do.

As a side note, I was on a half-French island one year during Bastille Day. Those people are crazy!!!!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, it's a good day to party.........."Mexican" style!

Don Alaska likes this.