Happy Juneteenth!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 19, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The terms "black and white" are opposites, and have been chosen to divide.

Very few folks are really black.
    Very few folks are really white.

We are chocolate brown and hamster-nose pink.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think people on this forum are "miss quoting" you, Lon. Like you stated that Bobby did. I think we are reading exactly what you wrote. I guess, sometimes, Lon, people have to watch what they write and think first. I do the same thing sometimes and I get called out on it.

As far as "a few Racists on SO", I would totally disagree with you. Just because there are those that disagree with what you say, that sure doesn't mean they are Racists.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Do we? I believe your critical thinking cell is broken because I have read everything you have and I haven’t realized that we have racists on this forum and no, I did NOT misquote you. I can easily go back and copy/paste some of the stuff you wrote that had a few of the members quite uh….upset shall we say.

All that aside, you still didn’t answer my query, Lon.
    I still submit to you sir that if you haven’t done anything to improve the plight of the “disadvantaged” black race (per your sentiments) then what good does rhetorical written speeches do?
    What good does the telling of cherry picked history do when all that is promoted are the evils and none of the good? Have you also said anything about cruel black overseers during the slave days? Nope. Have you also said anything about black slave owners? Nope. Black slave traders, black on black crime, or how about black guys who fought in the Revolutionary War with white people or how about the black guys I personally fought with or the number of white men and women who fought to end slavery and racism? Nope.

One thing about the Bible is that it asks questions and gives answers also like, Which is better to do for the hungry; say God bless you or give him food?
    Words do not feed, educate, give medicine to or help in any way but getting one’s hands dirty does.
    We have enough paper tigers and not enough people who back up what they write by doing something constructive.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I get the idea that you are simply virtue signaling. It's the equivalent of saying that if you don't celebrate Kwanzaa, you must hate black people. Basically, it suggests that you're watching too much CNN.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry Ken You are wrong on all counts--I am simply amazed at how posts can be interpreted.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This is the problem with faux outrage that is so prevalent these days. People want to point fingers at others while judging from the sidelines. "Put your money where your mouth is," as my father used to say.

Agree with @Ken Anderson . Virtue signaling at it's finest.

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Holy Crap You have revealed yourself and just who and what you are.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And whom and what would that be Lon? You don’t have to leave room for anyone to doubt what you are writing so just spit it out and clear the air so to speak.

You still haven’t answered any of my questions Lon so are you attempting to be like the MSM and divert attention from the real facts?
    So, I’ll make things even easier for you. How many funerals have you provided to underprivileged black families free of charge?
    It was in your purview to do so ……….?

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The bad thing about pointing a finger is that by doing so, your own hand has three fingers pointing back at you. Now, are those three fingers agreeing or convicting is the question? I hate to write it but in Lon’s case I believe they are convicting.
    In general, there are a lot of folks out there that do not understand the reasoning God gave us 2 ears, 2 eyes, 2 legs, 2 arms but only one mouth. We’re suppose to see, hear and put our arms and legs to use twice as much as we speak.

Kind of like the great orators I have heard in church. The speech may be good but I wanna see what you do.

Ken Anderson and Sunny Bonet like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't know what to say, Lon. You have told me that I see a thread, or a reply, of yours wrong and now you telling others the same thing. I still say we are reading exactly what you are stating, but you really disagree with how readers feel. However, that is your prerogative to do so.

But, when a forum member asks you questions, and you avoid answering, just how do you think the person asking is going to feel. Have you ever ask someone a question and that person avoids answering? How does it make you feel?

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I really do not expect nor have I expected an answer Cody. Whilst my questions are not meant to be embarrassing if answered and meant to make one reflect on one’s own behavior and in this case, inactivity, the questions can indeed be disturbing.

But what of Juneteenth? Is it not meant to embarrass the white race and goad us all into some sort of reparative action? I mean, hasn’t some past celebrity what’s her name singer come out of her corner and demanded our nation’s banner, Old Glory to be dramatically changed?
    Aren’t some black and white people in power demanding monetary reparations for the black race in the U.S.?
    Did not the Mayor of Chicago fly the African Flag over her city instead of the American Flag on Juneteenth?

Note: What is so ironic about the African Flag is that Africa still has slaves whilst the American Flag declares freedom for all races and creeds.

I know of no one thus far who is vocally championing the black cause who is actually doing anything to feed, house, educate, care for and actually help even one black person or family. BLM has only lined their own pockets and incited people to riot. Jesse Jackson hasn’t done anything but talk and collect money for himself, Al Sharpton has incited more hatred against the Caucasians than even that crackhead looking mayor of Chicago has whilst enriching himself and avoiding the IRS. Maxine Waters lives in a mansion and though her district is inundated with homeless people of all races, she hasn’t created one bill to help home black families or help single black mothers. I could name more but that horse has been ridden to death with no results.

Note 2: Ya know, there are actually a lot of people who do help others but they do not look at skin color and they aren’t generally in the news.
    They follow a Biblical code that says “do not your charitable works before the eyes of man”. To do anything less would be chest thumping and good people who make a difference in anyone’s walk of life are not in the advertising business. They do because it is right and not to gain the approval of men nor to line their pockets.

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

To simplify, Juneteenth is simply to shame anyone not considered to be of "color" and a DEMOCRAT!

It is one of many moves by the Democratic Party to destroy Trump and the unity he brought to the USA and world. It was embarrassing for the Democratic party when in Obama's last year, the dark-skinned patriots joined the Walk Away Movement by the tens of thousands to support Trump. During the Trump presidency, the "Blacks" of America abandon the Democratic party daily as they saw hope, and for the FIRST time a president offering hope in jobs and getting so many out of the ghettos plagued with hopelessness. Hope for the Black family instead of the fatherless homes and generational welfare started by LBJ a racist and KKK sympathizer. Hope for education and family and the stopping of numerous and large abortion factories built next to poor "Black" neighborhoods. An end to Democrat-sponsored genocide.

Trump was changing all this and the masses of folks that came from USA slavery descent were leaving the Democratic Party at an alarming rate and this had to be stopped. Juneteenth is just one of many ploys sponsored by descendants of "White" slave owners, as a distraction from the facts, a blindfold. The biggest embarrassment for the Democrats, was when Leo Terrel joined the Trump Republicans. The Democrats once hailed Leo as a champion of the Blacks and now they are trying to erase him from history because he saw he had been duped and became a true champion for civil rights on the side of justice.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have no problem with Juneteenth, and I think that it is a good thing when we celebrate something that helped freedom in this country, and if they want to make is a federal holiday so that everyone is aware of the occasion, that seems fine to me, too.
    The problem that I have with this , is how it is being used as a political weapon, and a lot of that weapon is being pointed at the very people who should be celebrating Juneteenth, and it is being used to create unrest and dissension in this country between races, which is ALWAYS wrong, in my opinion.

It does not make a bit of difference what color our hair, eyes, or skin is, what day we go to church (or whether we go at all), whether we eat meat or think that is animal cruelty, and a whole bunch of other things used to make people feel alienated from any other group of people. Underneath, we are all human beings (I hope !) with the same needs and feelings.

Blaming a holiday for the problem is kind of like the old thing of blaming guns for shootings, instead of the shooter. The holiday is fine, the political misuse of it is NOT fine.

14. Sunny Bonet

Sunny Bonet Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes I agree with those that believe that to portray people of any color as victims, is setting them up to be just that. Unfortunately, in my opinion, certain politicians and groups have done exactly that and it continues to get worse under the biden administration.
    P.S. In doing a little research on slavery, I ran across articles on white slavery, as well. I've never been a history buff, but found some of these articles quite interesting and I've never heard the media talking about white slavery. Hmmmm, interesting I thought... I hope i'm not "hijacking" this thread, not my intention.:confused: I just happen to believe that juneteenth being declared a national holiday, in this political climate, was simply more caving by this president.

cancace and racism.jpg

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife found out this last Monday that she has Monday the 20th off, due to the Federal Holiday Juneteenth. Juneteenth actually falls on Sunday, the 19, same day as Father's Day. So, the insurance company she works for (at home) is closed that day.

Yvonne Smith likes this.