Has Anyone Else Noticed Rapid Inflation Setting In?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Don Alaska, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I bought something six months ago and paid $36 for it. I bought the same item at the same store last week and paid $41 for it. Is that inflation? If it is, what is the rate of inflation?

I paid 48¢ more tax on it. Is that a hidden tax increase?

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Inflation is basically figured by the wealth or debt of the nations economy mostly from what I understand. In other words since we are 28 trillion in debt we are all up the finaciai creek without a paddle.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes to both of those, @Shirley Martin. There is the "real" inflation rate that you experienced, and the government-calculation rates of inflation upon which government benefits are calculated, which is always much lower than the real rate. According to the government figures, there was no inflation during the Obama administration, thus no benefit payments were increased. The Trump administration seemed to return to the regular practice, but I am sure we are not going to get Social Security and Federal pension increases that reflect the tremendous rate of inflation we are experiencing. During high inflation, debtors are rewarded and the savers are penalized.