Has The Virus Changed Your Lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

No Meeting----The room was empty----so I have no idea what it was supposed to be about.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What the meeting was going to be about..........could be how your Assisted Living Staff are helping the residents not to get sick, even with having the vaccine? The vaccine isn't 100% effective, even though that's what everyone wants. Then again, not "everyone" are Seniors with heath problems.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was thinking last night that a lot of people have some type of psychiatric ailment due to all the lockdowns. Some gained a lot of weight, others hit the bottle pretty hard and some were so severe that they committed suicide. With that in mind maybe they (whomever they are) felt that it might be time to “clear the air” and feel out who might need help with their PTSD type of ailment.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When the virus first hit, I hunkered down mainly because the only reasons I had to leave the house besides groceries were church and restaurants. Both of those got closed for a while.

When church restarted, it became the only place in my life where COVID was front & center. We were masked (indoors & out) and COVID invaded that space. Our pastor was God-blessing The Vaccinated.
    I've now stopped going altogether because these rules are in place:

-Fully vaccinated persons may be unmasked in indoor and outdoor settings including worship.
    -Fully vaccinated persons may sing without a mask, indoor and outdoor settings, including worship.
    -Social distancing and masks remain for those who are more comfortable using these measures.

It stinks, but when all these older folks congregate in this enclosed space, and their vaccines have diminished their warning systems [reduced symptoms], something bad is gonna happen. I don't want to be there for that.

I started forcing myself to eat out at least once a week just to get off of the compound, but now that there seems to be another virus on the horizon (we can copy/paste that statement for the rest of our lives) and the cold weather is gonna drive folks indoors ("Flu Season"), I think I'm gonna put dining out on hold. Carry Out may become my best option, but even at that, I'm so far away from eateries that I can make dinner in a shorter amount of time that I can go get dinner and bring it home.

Of all the options out there, I think avoiding close contact with other people in enclosed spaces is probably the most effective thing I can do to minimize my risk for the time being. That's not a major lifestyle change, other than it taking me from "occasional contact" to nearly "full isolation" except for grocery store runs (which I plan on limiting to once a week, during non-peak hours.)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We just got a Take-Out order from iHop. While we were sitting in our vehicle waiting for the order to be done, a couple walked into the restaurant wearing no mask. Big sign on the front of the door stating Masks Required. Shortly after going in, without wearing any mask, the couple came out and left. Most likely, management to them they couldn't order food without a mask on. So, without making a fuss over the "mask" thing, they left. Good that they left, because if the "fuss" got to bad, management would've called local police.

Some places aren't enforcing the Mandatory Mask Order, while others are.

Tony Page, Bobby Cole and Ed Wilson like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For the most part, we do not have a mask mandate. Restaurants, churches, concerts, athletic events etc are all mask optional.
    On the other hand, since we go to a hospital based gym, we are supposed to don the masks, walk 53 steps down the hallway and then we can take off the masks which on Sunday, is completely ridiculous.
    With the exception of the gym and pool, the Medical Mall is closed and no one is in the entire building with the exception of those going to the gym which is maskless anyway. But still, the security guard at the door makes everyone put their masks on to walk those same 53 steps to the gym where the masks come off.

7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Since retirement I have not gone out much and tend to keep to myself, so things have not changed too much for me. I postponed an eye exam when covid first hit, but during that gap when things improved, I got it in and got new glasses. The following exam they scheduled I postponed again because covid numbers are up.

When I got bored I would sometimes go shopping just to browse and get out of the house, but since those were non-essential trips I don’t do that anymore. It now comes down to only going out to do the essential and doing so masked.

8. John Brunner

I can't wait for mask mandates to go away so you can get back to bitching about trash bags left out on the sidewalk.

9. John Brunner

Just like restaurants here:
    -Put on your mask face covering to walk to the table
    -Take your mask face covering off while seated
    -Put your mask face covering back on to go to the bathroom or to leave

It makes no sense, even if the masks did any good in the first place.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The businesses around here that are doing the best are mostly those which passively defied the governor's mask orders. I know that I'm not the only one who refuses to shop at the Tractor Supply Company store here anymore because they enacted the mask order the moment the governor gave it, and I used to shop there often. Our local grocery store backed down from enforcing the mask order when customers were driving ten miles to another grocery store in the same chain that wasn't enforcing it. I think it's only natural for people to want to support businesses whose owners or managers were more concerned about their customer's wishes than a governor's mandate. It's not like the governor is going to be shopping at any of those stores.

A restaurant in Maine has garnered a fiercely loyal customer base by openly defying the governor's mandate of last year for restaurants to close. He stayed open, serving customers without masks. They pulled his liquor license first, and he quit selling liquor but engaged some attorneys. They pulled his health permit and he stayed open, but sued. The governor sent the state police out there but the state police refused to enforce the order because a governor's order is not a law. All of his licenses were returned.

We had no courageous restaurant owners here in Millinocket, and nearly every restaurant in town remains closed, although it's been quite some time since they have been allowed to reopen. Further north, restaurants operated pretty much as usual throughout the governor's reign of terror, and we still drive north if we want to eat in a restaurant. I have no interest in patronizing a business that catered to the governor rather than to its customers.

11. John Brunner

THAT'S encouraging.

I'm reading of more and more people who are putting their livelihoods on the line. One thing that concerns me is that those are the people we want holding those jobs when some horrible "go-get-the-citizens" orders come down the pike...I fear who may be filling those positions on that day.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in North Jersey everyone is wearing a mask. You cannot get into a business or doctor's office without one. In South Jersey, not a mask to be seen. Like another country where my son lives.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

In Maine, we have a north-south divide too. Pretty much everyone in Southern Maine wears a mask, and that decreases as you go north. I even saw one guy in Southern Maine who had "cleverly" cut a hole in his mask for a cigarette.

15. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes ….. very much so we used to dance ( social ballroom ) up to 3 times a week
    Due to the combination of me breaking my leg in March and Covid we haven’t danced since late January 2021.

we’ve been to a couple of dances but we both felt uncomfortable in a crowded hall despite South Aust being Covid free for months .

We also used to travel to Queensland each winter for a month usually mid July - mid Aug .
    We usually rented / booked a unit close / walking distance to public transport / entertainment venues.
    so we didn’t really miss having a car due to flying up and back ( it’s about 2100 km each way by road )

With advancing age we decided we’d budget and save for a new car to start driving up each winter ,so we ordered a brand new car Nissan Qashqai in mid summer ( January here in Aust ) 2020 never thinking the virus would get as bad as it did in March 2020 ,so that’s another way the virus has effected our lives , so here we are just coming out of a late winter sitting at home …..cold…. ( still wearing jumpers here in late Oct a month into spring )
    instead of enjoying a nice warm winter in Queensland