Have You Accepted Your Oldness Or Are You In Denial?

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not afraid of death, I am afraid of dying.
    I do not let getting older bother me. Yes I get angry and frustrated that I no longer have the strength and agility of a younger person. However much of that loss is counter acted by my equally aged mind,which is stronger than it has ever been. I find solutions with machines simple tools,that enable me to accomplish any chore that I have come across.. albeit usually more slowly. Work smarter not harder!
    I have one mantra, "Just keep going" Speed grace and flash are not the goal.

I will very rarely say never, so I can imagine a scenario of advanced disease a wooded knoll and a shotgun.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm in the same position that many others are...I have no one to speak on my behalf.

Given our aging population, I'm surprised there are not services sold for us to use as Emergency Contacts and to represent us when we are unable to speak for ourselves. I would think the risk to be low; after all, even if they fail to perform at all, there would be no one around to hold them accountable.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I try to do something every day I enjoy and usually do so, I still am very active in life and push very hard to be so, fishing, pets & my shooting sports help much I am involved with all weekly most any weather and enjoy it more than ever. Still shooting matches anytime I can with a large one monthly. Today planning to go to stock pond for awhile and walk the woods back home just looking around probably will shoot a few cans at the dump ditch, then walk doggy some or not do any and go to friends and load ammunition and cast bullets. Possibly a 5th Sat match coming up soon this month. I still have more interest than the younger crowd there, always have. Tomorrow plan to eat with my best friend and go for a walk with dog pushing her chair for her unless she rides scooter.

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

"I gets weary, and sick of tryin',
    I'm tired of livin', and scared of dyin',
    But Old Man River, he just keeps rollin' along!"

"Old Man River", from the musical "Showboat".
    Hal

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Bill Boggs and Trevalius Guyus like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

“Brunner’s Emergency Contact Service”
    Sounds like you have an idea that you’re not exploiting.

6. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I have totally accepted it.

7. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just reminded my oldest that I am SEVENTY. That used to be old. Some days I actually think it IS the new fifty. If I hadn't had my left hip replaced, I would have been in a wheelchair. I walk everywhere with a cane now hoping to have the other hip done someday. I use the cane to get things down from shelves in the grocery store. Once I had to kill a rooster, that was attacking me, with it. I try to do things as much as I can because I have experienced muscle atrophy and had to work to get the muscles back. I want to keep as much as I can for as long I can without taking up running.
    I always liked weight lifting but now I have to plan how to pick up 50 pound bags of feed.
    Being old, I don't have to impress anyone. I can help as I please. I can say no!
    I am kind of sad that I can't seem to keep my house up as well as I would like but never really did. I am also sad that 3/5 of my bridesmaids have died and especially with covid, making new friends is harder to do.

8. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You are right! We older folks find solutions to situations that young folks probably would not with our wiser and stronger minds. We have to be and are much more creative. And when we forget WHY we are down in the basement, we do six other things that needed doing down there until we remember. It is not alzheimers it is efficiency.
    ; )

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"What in the World is age? It's like the turning of a page".;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been growing older my whole life. Growing and adapting to change is a good thing. I remember reading "East to The Dawn The Life of Amelia Earhart", and at some point I laid down the book and thought "As long as I delay finishing this book, she will remain alive". we can't do that with our own life, we must run the race to the finish....enjoying every stride and stumble! Every day I wake up, I find myself on a new page......a "New Man" living in a "New World", looking forward to stepping into Eternity. I thank God for the gift of life!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  11. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A wonderful uplifting story !!!

A balding, white haired man walked into a jewelry store this past Friday evening with a beautiful much younger gal at his side. He told the jeweler he was looking for a special ring for his girlfriend. The jeweler looked through his stock and brought out a $15,000 ring.

The man said, 'No, I'd like to see something more special. Price is immaterial.

At that statement, the jeweler went to his special stock and brought another ring over. 'Here's a stunning ring at only $140,000’ the jeweler said. “It’s the famous Azure Blue which belonged to a Maharajah.”

The lady's eyes sparkled and her whole body trembled with excitement. Seeing this, the old man said, 'We'll take it.'

The jeweler asked how payment would be made and the man stated, 'By check. I know you need to make sure my check is good, so I'll write it now and you can call the bank Monday to verify the funds; I'll pick the ring up Monday afternoon.'

On Monday morning, the jeweler angrily phoned the old man and said 'Sir...There's no money in that account!’

''I know,' said the old man...'But let me tell you about my weekend.”

12. John Brunner

^^^Stolen^^^
    :D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Susan Paynter

Registered

I was just explained internet etiquette by my daughter. The above "reposted" from uplift

Hoot Crawford and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

I hope you realize I meant that it was so funny that I'm stealing it (it's stolen by me)...not that I was saying it was stolen.

Susan Paynter and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Susan Paynter

Registered

Thus is so funny, its like catching the bull by the tail. I was trying to embed a video with my daughters help ....I showed her your post and after that blah blah blah . This generation, they think too much into things, that's why I posted the clarification.
    I am glad u enjoyed it, i thought it was funny too and apt for the thread.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.